doodles

Re: Panic - February half-term revision

Post by doodles »

Yamin151 wrote:Oh, my revision timetables were legendary! :lol: :lol:
So were mine Yamin, so were mine! Application of them was the problem. :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Goodness help us if we'd had access to computer graphics and word art back then. In fairness I did used to look at what the coloured, caligraphically enhanced, dated boxes said I should be doing...every morning, but in direct similarity to the diet diary I have pinned on my wall now, by evening it had all gone a bit Pete Tong. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am always sceptical about the beautiful revision timetables/lovely colour-coded notes/ pretty folders and dividers type of revision strategy. This was employed by one of my DC one year, and the exam results were correspondingly underwhelming. I am not sure said DC realised you actually had to sit down at some point and actually learn the stuff.
doodles

Post by doodles »

To directly quote DS1:

"My school work's fine dad it's just the tests that are a problem." :shock: :shock:
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

So far so good - there is a lot of doubt about one of the subjects and "teachers" for said subject - and thanks to the revision timetable DS has discovered a major part of the syllabus that hasn't been covered - so is now able to deal with the matter via the appropriate channels.

It's great to see him so motivated by the task of checking his notes and knowledge against a subject syllabus - so he's sorting out gaps and areas that he doesn't understand, he is then able to go through exam style questions followed by past papers.

And before teachers get on to the "I'm sure it is all in hand with subject teacher" given the subject is no longer going to be offered and the previous year's results were so abysmal - accompanied by the rumours that the teacher is not actually qualified to teach the subject - you can possibly see that we're worried! In fact we have written off the subject as being able to used in the race for grades for sixth form!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:I am always sceptical about the beautiful revision timetables/lovely colour-coded notes/ pretty folders and dividers type of revision strategy. This was employed by one of my DC one year, and the exam results were correspondingly underwhelming. I am not sure said DC realised you actually had to sit down at some point and actually learn the stuff.
Yes, I've got one of those too!
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sportsmum - as a teacher I've often recommended looking at the specification to check what has been covered.

Sometimes schools have to allocate classes to teacher who are not well-qualified.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

There's not well qualified and then there's ****** useless, mucking around with kids' futures and totally unqualified to teach the subject - oh yes - not forgetting completely ****** lazy and a liar (lies to parents denying that letters have been sent to parents by him when the parents have a copy of the letter in front of them - not to me but another parent who is a very senior teacher in another school).

As for "allocating classes" - for two years.....

But then thank heavens the child has seen fit to check things for himself - a trait that until now has been so well hidden as to be non-existent!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Presumably you have written to Governors? There must be a grievance process which you must use to deal with this saying '*&^%' on a forum will not help.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Oh it is all being dealt with - but putting it on a forum does help - it helps me - as I'm the calm measured one at home, supporting the student and doing what I'm supposed to be.... so the rare explosion at the ineptitude of someone that is clearly not doing their job helps me a great deal - thank you!

At least my kids, who both want to teach, have seen and taken on board that poor teachers have the ability to destroy a child's confidence and turn them off mentally, whilst a good teacher has the ability to give a child that "light bulb moment" which makes everything click into place and gives that a child an interest or passion for a topic or a subject.

But hey - back to revision - 'cos waiting until Easter is far too late - especially for us!!!

Good luck to all parents going through the process of public exams -it will all be over sooner than you think!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now