Virtual support - they're here again

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aliportico

Re: Virtual support - they're here again

Post by aliportico »

Seems I spoke too soon yesterday afternoon - dd2 has been rather bad-tempered since then. What joy.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

What a fab idea, just chilling the wine now, having spent the morning at Boots stocking up on cold and flu remedy ( DD had no sleep last 2 nights because so poorly). :?
Will attempt to get GP appointment tomorrow as she doesn't start until Tuesday. However, just pleased to get these exams started finally. She started study leave on Friday. Realization just hit that if she doesn't get the grades, she doesn't automatically get into 6th Form.......
emsy

Post by emsy »

Can I join you all? My eldest started study leave last Thursday, went in Friday to finish her art display and has her first exam tomorrow (French). She is working hard and is fairly calm most of the time with the odd panic. Her timetable seems good as she has at least one free day each week and there is only one day with morning and afternoon exams. This is the first of 5 years of exam stress as my second child will do GCSEs when my first does A-levels (I've already warned them that I'm leaving the country from Easter to July that year!).
KB

Post by KB »

9th year in a row and counting....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

30+ consecutive years and counting!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

A lady in my reading group has a son doing a levels and her triplets doing gcses next week, she did look a little fraught. :lol: Bless them all, and her dh is safely at work in Saudi so no one to even pull the cork when required!
ginx

Post by ginx »

I thought I had it hard till I read your posts! How do you cope with AS/A levels and GCSE's at the same time?

I can hardly cope with one. Ds1 is not very bright, a sort of solid C (why do schools use words like "solid"?) but needs B's to do A levels. He is quite good at the subjects he plans to do A levels in (maths and sciences) but he is slow, gets extra time which he needs and uses, but he seems to rely a lot on luck! Not so good.

Dd2 has just one this year, she's never done an exam before - she didn't do the 11+, nor any music exams - and she is very nervous. It's only RE, she can re-take if she wants, but she has worked so hard.

Their exam leave begins when the deputy head announces it. Surely that will be today? But I don't want Ds1 at home; he will lounge around on his iPad and do nothing. He has got to stay at school.

No idea how you have all coped. Well, do I get the impression a glass, sorry, bottle of wine helps? :)
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I was going to have 9 straight years of it, with lots of doubling up, but I think with the scrapping of ASs we should have a couple of years off (or at least with perhaps only an early Maths GCSE and/or only one AS to do, depending on how all that pans out). So atm I'm looking forward to 2018, lol!
KB

Post by KB »

ginx wrote:I thought I had it hard till I read your posts! How do you cope with AS/A levels and GCSE's at the same time?

I can hardly cope with one. Ds1 is not very bright, a sort of solid C (why do schools use words like "solid"?) but needs B's to do A levels. He is quite good at the subjects he plans to do A levels in (maths and sciences) but he is slow, gets extra time which he needs and uses, but he seems to rely a lot on luck! Not so good.

Dd2 has just one this year, she's never done an exam before - she didn't do the 11+, nor any music exams - and she is very nervous. It's only RE, she can re-take if she wants, but she has worked so hard.

Their exam leave begins when the deputy head announces it. Surely that will be today? But I don't want Ds1 at home; he will lounge around on his iPad and do nothing. He has got to stay at school.

No idea how you have all coped. Well, do I get the impression a glass, sorry, bottle of wine helps? :)

just lost my post so apologies if it turns up somewhere!

I was poking my nose in to suggest that if you haven't already it might be worth looking at alternatives to A levels for you DC. I have seen too many non academic children pushed into A levels by school and then fail to thrive because they aren't suited. Your DS may be more technically and practically minded and it would be sad if he didn't get the opportunity to find his strengths. The fact that on a lucky day he can get the minimum grades to carry on to A level shouldn't mean it is seen as the best option.
You may already have been through all this so apologies.

And very best wishes to your DS and your DD ( if she is so well prepared for RS I am sure she will do well)
moved

Post by moved »

4 down and 30 to go!

Bring it on!