Virtual support - they're here again

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
copella

Re: Virtual support - they're here again

Post by copella »

In our house 6 down now. Not sure how it's going a few surprises in Geog with several 6 mark questions, and some odd biology questions, DS still seems up beat though. Rest day tomorrow then they all start again. He takes nearly all his papers over the two weeks before half term and only has three afterwards. I seem to remember mine going on for weeks with some long gaps. Roll on June!
moved

Post by moved »

The student room had a lot to say about geography!
copella

Post by copella »

I know I had a look. DS was one of those who struggled to finish, having to use bullet points for the last 6 mark question and so we know he's lost a few marks. Never mind, he has done and is doing his best and that's all we can ask.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree its best not to dwell on papers done.
Important to keep confidence up for those to come.
UMS can help for 'dodgy' papers.
Best foot forward and for those who trust, eyes heavenward.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

dd2 has a short presentation to do today - a revision thing, they have been paired up and each pair has to talk about one of the Carol Ann Duffy poems they've been studying. She's far far more nervous about this than she is about her Spanish exam this afternoon :(
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Dd completed three so far. Hers are spread out and go on until 24th June :shock: Rest day today here too.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Hi! I came on here to see if anyone was commenting about Edexcel Geography. Can anyone point me in the direction of the student room please? DD1 was very worried by this as she was told to learn tons of case studies which she did and nothing came up. She has human next week and again been told to learn lots of case studies so is wondering whether she should not waste her time/effort on this. I said I don't expect anyone will know but would be helpful if I could piont her in the direction of the student room so she knows she was not alone in finding it difficult.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Student room website is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

suspect this is the thread to look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthr ... ?t=2677730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

every year there is the odd paper that causing havoc - one year it was a chemistry A2 paper - within hours there was facebook group with 4000 people complaining (only about 5k took the exam!). In the end the people who were expected to do well, did do well - grade boundaries were lower than expected.
All OK in the end (after several weeks wait) but pretty miserable time for some if a lot was counting in getting a specific grade - lots of upset kids.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ds came out of geography (not his best subject)saying he thought it went well!!! But other people found it difficult. Not sure this is good!
However no time to dwell on it, as its Eng Lit this afternoon. 7 down, 19 to go.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I was talking to a GCSE and A level Geography teacher about this paper this morning and it seems like everyone is going to be in the same boat. None of the case studies came up and so students were struggling to have enough material to write about. A GCSE timed exam is not really the place to have to really think about and create an answer from scratch. Of course students should not dwell on it but it is important for them to understand that it seems that most applicants got caught by this and so it did not really benefit anyone. The pass mark will go down and students should feel reassured that they may well end up with a good grade after all even though it would have felt very bad sitting there not knowing how to answer. At our local private schools Edexcel Geography is the only non IGCSE they do. I expect they will be taking another look at that decision after yesterday. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now