Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:31 pm 

I would appreciate you all can advise if out of school activities, diplomas etc are counted for university entrance. My DD is studying year 9 now & her school colleagues are already started doing extra curriculum activities out of school hours aiming UCAS points to boost university entrance. Are they actually counted under UCAS points on top of GCSE results? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:49 pm 

My understanding is that they are of little relevance, unless it is something your DC want to study (eg drama exams for drama). And of course they may be useful in the wider sense. University places would udually be offered on A level results, not GCSE. I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:54 pm 

GCSEs don't get UCAS points. The sort of thing that they could be doing at this age that can count for UCAS points are mostly music/dance/LAMDA exams, and then there are many more 16-18 qualifications - see http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables for the full list.

It depends what sort of universities your dd might apply for - the more academically-competitive universities tend to just give offers in terms of grades, rather than points.

It might be also that teenagers want to do various activities so they have plenty to talk about in their UCAS application. (Which again may be more helpful for some universities/courses than others.)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:05 pm 

Additional UCAS points might be useful as an 'extra' but, as has been said, most universities make offers based on grades.

Once or twice I have seen students 'rescue' a drop of a grade as the uni has recognised a music grade 8 or similar.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:36 pm 

However, out of school activities such as Duke of Edinburgh and voluntary work, work experience of any sort (paid or unpaid), sport, drama and music production involvement etc etc can be very useful for the UCAS form personal statement as they show all aspects of the candidates personality - in an era where quite often there is not a lot to separate candidates in terms of grades, or where a candidate may be predicted borderline grades for the particular university course, having really good extra curricular activities may tip an offer in their favour.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm 

Quote:
out of school activities such as Duke of Edinburgh and voluntary work, work experience of any sort (paid or unpaid), sport, drama and music production involvement etc etc can be very useful for the UCAS form personal statement as they show all aspects of the candidates personality
D of E is not valued as its too easy to just use existing activities. Volunteering is more valued unless its part of IB 'compulsory' volunteering. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:38 pm 

I can't speak for uni entrance but I short list and recruit a lot of graduates, and DofE, certainly at higher levels, is something I look for. Anything that makes your application stand out ( in a good way) from others with the same qualifications is a good thing. Volunteering is good but it helps to be in a relevant field, especially for nhs careers.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:39 pm 

Thanks for your comments.
So it is clear that No UCAS points are available for GCSE results or any out of school activities.
But could be useful in the University application write up to explain what you have done as extra curriculum activities to distinguish from exactly same graded candidates.
Also it appears that some universities are not considered out of school activities.

If we talk about Russell Group Unis, are they do selections purely based on AL Grades & their own examinations?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:50 pm 

Quote:
write up to explain what you have done as extra curriculum activities
No, it's more to do with linking to skills. RG unis offer on grades mostly.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 pm 

Sorry Guest55 but I have to disagree with you - DofE at Gold is certainly still regarded by uni admissions staff - obviously in collaboration with other things and grades - lots of people have lower level DofE certainly but not so many have Gold - and longer term, it is very well respected by employers. But you are right that any extra curricular stuff carried out needs to be linked on the personal statement - i.e. pulling out transferable skills learned, linking how these relate to the course/university applied to.