How to help jaded KS3 student rev up for GCSEs?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverysea

How to help jaded KS3 student rev up for GCSEs?

Post by silverysea »

We've had a quite good report though some very high predicted grades weren't met, then on Tuesday presented with a mainly very good report-but right at the top in a subject an absolutely stinking indictment of dd-a list of all sorts of failings- not a word of encouragement, next steps, good luck, etc. I had no warning since last year, Same teacher wasn't happy and we took steps to improve (extra tuition from mum and dad, refusal of a school trip to allow more study at home, dad saw teacher at parent eve as I was very ill in hospital)-all seemed ok as far as we knew this year-now with school nearly out we get this. It's a teacher who is leaving and a subject she is not surprisingly quitting for GCSE, but I feel completely deflated.

I feel I can't trust the school or dd to tell me the truth. They go on and on about growth Mindsets, targets, blah blah, but none of us could fathom out what they wanted in this subject-tried really hard but always given bad mark and told it was wrong-but not how-she was too ashamed to show us-now it's clear she has been singled out by a spiteful person - and I'm left feeling where to go from here? Will I get another horrendous report after the fact instead of what she is capable of in GCSEs? What is the point of these reports? Maybe I should send her to boarding school since I am unable to do anything with her or get the school to do it.

Is it normal to get only one report a year? Other than termly computerised scores for attendance behaviour organisation- almost all perfect by the way, and levels, which were going the right way.
Guest55

Re: How to help jaded KS3 student rev up for GCSEs?

Post by Guest55 »

I would go in to the school and ask to see the head of year or head of department.

An end of year report is a totally inappropriate place for such comments; any problem should be communicated early on.

I'd be furious!

GCSE is a completely different scenario and often children seem to focus better as they have a clear aim.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Can you tell us what subject? Were her grades low and her end of year test for just this one? If it is a subject she will drop I would breath a sigh of relief, the old baggage will leave the door when the teacher exits, so dd can ritually burn her book. Chop the top off her report and bin it...then say look, you did brilliantly, well done, pizza time.

The teacher is clearly a coward, to write something, but not communicate it at parents evening, she may be so discontent in her own petty life she is taking it out on the kids.

We have a mean teacher in ds1 year, sadly not leaving, but has caused upset and tears this end...I can never fathom why these people choose to teach?
KB

Post by KB »

If its only one teacher and a subject not being carried on then I would agree with DC to put it behind you but to draw out any useful lessons to take forward eg. If DC has any problems its better to talk to you .....
You could make a fuss with school ( justifiably!)but it will probably just upset you more and achieve little.
Enjoy the summer break and start afresh in September.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I've already made a fuss now, because I am already upset and can't gloss over to myself (normally I manage!) the feeling that I've put her in this environment and can't find a way to make it work academically or to build her confidence instead of destroy it. Her grade isn't that bad on the levels, 6a, was 5 in year 8 but she was predicted a 7 (she is very bright but distracted this year). Maybe he has left because of poor progress by students?

It's history, she loves TV programmes on it and we belong to English Heritage. He seemed to resent her good English and creativity, saying that wasn't history, but she says ignored that she had put in several more dates and facts in projects than friends who he marked higher, and didn't call on her in class, once even when she held her hand up for 30 minutes. Her friend confirmed this to me. DH says he doesn't remember any such comments as "disengaged" at the parent meeting in Jan, but I was hospitalised with complications of major surgery and he had 2 kids to deal with. The head of year had meetings with me and her for pastoral reasons, which she found embarrassing as he only calls out behavioural problem kids usually.

I realise she should learn resilience and giving up on the subject was wrong, but tbh I doubt any kid she knew would have had a better idea, and no adult was informed of the problem at the time.

I had a big family problem in the 70s and left school for a while-all my teachers were supportive and kind in the final report.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thank you chaps, for your support!! I don't feel so disempowered now.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Omg. Teacher has been promoted to selective private school.

Well that is interesting-maybe the parents will expect and get better communication from that school.

But I am left to pick up the pieces.

I am in despair.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I had soothing reply from higher up teacher,about future improved
Progress communication with me, I am trying to turn this positive in my mind.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now