GCSE remark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loopylou

Re: GCSE remark?

Post by loopylou »

People tend to be more forthcoming about the remarks that are successful than those which aren't.
As an example, if you read the results day threads from Sutton and Kingston, you would assume that 80% of children pass the first stage exam (most people are posting good news interspersed with the a very few posts from disappointed parents). In truth, only around 40% get through to the second round but you don't get whole strings of people coming on forums to present bad news so you wouldn't get that impression.

The exam boards do publish the figures confirming remarks are statistically very unlikely to lead to a grade change but I haven't ever seen these broken down by initial grade.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Interested to know? When it comes to a remark at GCSE level what impact does going down a grade have compared to going up. I assume at A'level it could be catastrophic to go down as you could lose an university place. However surely GCSE is a totally different ball game.

Take our situation. My DS is finding it difficult to get a 6th form place due to unexpectedly failing one GCSE exam and not reaching his predicted grades in two others. If I had got them remarked and they had gone down we would be no worse off than we are now. If they had gone up we would have been saved over a months worth of stress and demoralization as well as being back on track to get the A'levels he needs to continue with his ambitions.

We are an unusual case but I should imagine for those in 6th form already proving themselves on their course and with their teachers confident that the exam was a blip the only issue to a drop in score will be when applying to Uni. A good set of ASs and A'levels will go some way towards righting that and worse case DC can take a gap year which I personally would see as a benefit. However those DC whose scores go up may have lost their place on a course but will now be able to use their scores to right that wrong.

Of course the scary thing is despite the small number some scores do go up and therefore some DCs futures are being scuppered because DP didn't think to go for a remark. An awful thing to have to live with now the qualifications for 6th form A'level entry for all schools have been pitched so highly.

I don't think DS's would have but it makes you think doesn't it. There really can be no room for error remarking DCs exams if the stakes of not making a grade are so high.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tolstoy, I have pm'd you.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tolstoy, just a thought, and you've probably had it already, but cannot your son re-do year 11 or, failing that, get a college place to resit his disappointing GCSEs?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Amber wrote:Tolstoy, just a thought, and you've probably had it already, but cannot your son re-do year 11 or, failing that, get a college place to resit his disappointing GCSEs?
In a word no. The only two colleges to resit at are miles away and although he would have happily traveled there the waiting lists for resits at both were already massive when we contacted them at the beginning of September. Only one school in our area would allow Y11 entry, unfortunately a grammar school and he didn't pass their entry requirement. Under present circumstances forking out between 20,000 to go private wasn't an option.

We have hopefully found a 6th form that will take him now. I am appalled that a school seems to be using the governments initiative that all students leave school with math GCSE to penalise those that don't have it but there you have it! Not sure what the implications of this will be in a couple of years time when all GCSEs will be exam dependent and DC have to stay on until 18. :roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I thought all pupils now had to stay on with effect from last year, ie: my dd was in year 11 and is now year 12 (lower sixth) and she has to stay on at school, college or training?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Well supposedly yes Snowdrops but as yet noone seems to have come knocking at my door. So not entirely sure how the government are enforcing this particular directive.