GCSE remark?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Marylou

Re: GCSE remark?

Post by Marylou »

OK, form filled in and fingers crossed! :?
Marylou
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

So, did you go for one paper or all of them Marylou? A very difficult decision!

Fingers' crossed for your dc (but I think there will be a positive outcome here :D )

I tell you what is scary though, is how many papers are put in for remarking and they come back upgraded, I know those marking try their hardest but it makes me wonder on behalf of the poor kids :(

Oops, I forgot to say, dd was 2 ums off an A for french, school sent off one paper (they do it automatically for any student within 2 marks - with their consent of course, but parents don't pay) and she's been upgraded :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Great news about your DD! In the end we just went for the lower-marked one of the two that could potentially be remarked (couldn't risk them downgrading the higher-marked one!) but it's all a bit of a gamble, really. We don't know if it'll come back before the deadline so we'd have another chance with the other paper, but if we don't hear back by the 15th we'll probably call a day and just wait for the result.
Marylou
moved

Post by moved »

DD's drama just came back - up 12 UMS and 9 raw marks and a grade boundary so free.

Just to help those worrying about whether or not it is worth having a remark done.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As long as you are close to the higher boundary you are unlikely to go down a grade. I have known marks go down and many do stay the same; be aware that the chances of getting a higher grade are small.

Markers are not paid that much and have timescales to meet so errors will happen. At least the process is quicker now and students are not likely to lose a uni place because of a poorly marked paper.
moved

Post by moved »

Given the length of time from high-stakes examination to results, I don't think there is any excuse for poor marking.

Poor markers should be retrained or not used. Monitoring should be essential too.

Part of the problem is that GCSEs are written in about 2 weeks and the questions are not trialed. IRT is not used to construct papers and no one develops the mark scheme apart from during the marking of real papers.

If we are to continue to use these exams to judge our children and their schools they must be developed properly.

Sadly A level is barely any better. B to A* for English for a friend's DD. It delayed her admission to Cambridge by a year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It delayed her admission to Cambridge by a year.
Sorry to hear this but with a priority remark this should not have happened as universities have to hold places in this situation.

The % of mistakes is very small and will never be eliminated as markers are human. More mistakes are found at KS2 tests which are trialled ...
moved

Post by moved »

Sadly, there are far too many mistakes. I don't have data to compare 'SATs' with GCSE, but SATs frankly don't matter whereas GCSEs and A levels do. I would also assume that as all scripts for KS2 SATs are returned to schools that teachers spot the mistakes. As mentioned above if you get a GCSE script it cannot then be remarked. Far more mistakes would therefore go unnoticed.

I've only very rarely heard of remarked papers not moving at all, but maths and sciences do move less.

The English paper mentioned above had to go to appeal. There was a tribunal due to the wording of a question.

A geography A level essay was given 2/25 and on remark 25/25. It hadn't fulfilled low-level criteria. The student took her place at Oxford.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've only very rarely heard of remarked papers not moving at all
Data from exam boards does not back that up ...
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Most probably, people who request a remark and get a lower or unchanged result don't tend to shout about it as much as those whose grade or mark increases. The vast majority of remarks do not result in a grade change at all.