GCSE's in 2015

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: GCSE's In 2015

Post by scary mum »

DS1 has done controlled assessments in triple science, Spanish, English & business studies - I think that's it! He's not very communicative and so if he doesn't tell me about it I often don't know. While I am here to encourage & help if asked, I do tend to be slightly hands off as otherwise I just end up nagging which helps no-one. So if I can let off steam here & gather information that might help him, that has to be a good thing! (Does stats GCSE have controlled assesment still?)
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm surprised the school doesn't hand out a schedule of when all the assignments are. We find it useful so departments don't schedule them at the same time ....

Look on the school website for any KS4 booklet with syllabuses listed which is usually dstributed around option time.
copella

Post by copella »

It is all very confusing with the year on year changes. My DS who has just completed had no modular exams but did have controlled assessments which were all completed in school. His younger brother who is entering y9 will be the first of cohort to sit the new GCSEs. So whatever we have learnt for these exams will have to be un learnt.

My elder DS 's school seemed to have no organised schedule (which would have been helpful for us) to know when controlled assessments would take place. It was an effort keeping up with them, when they were or if the dates had changed, which happened on several occasions. His school however gave them revision books which were up to date and the correct specification. I don't think we had to pay for any of them or if we did it was too small an amount to recall je a couple of pounds.

He did not start doing past papers at home until the Easter. The school did plenty and there are the mocks as well. Unlike the eleven plus where you were more or less on your own schools are really there to support you. We had the emails and telephone numbers of most of his teachers and they nearly always responded within 24 hrs of us sending messages.

If I had my time again I would have been less worried about predicted grades. We had to hand in my DS's final school report to his new sixth form and he was predicted a D for physics and E for RE but got As for both exams. This was because the predicted grades were based on tests they completed in class. He had been lazy and tried to wing it but took the real exams much more seriously.

Despite some of my misgivings about my DS's school, schools are there to help and when we asked they were supportive and I am sure this is the same for all schools.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Well I am going in to the school to demand more direct communication with myself as dd does not share/remember/bother about any of it and I was deeply undelighted with the communication I have had for years 8 and 9.

I just hope that she will take the real exams seriously but I will also be cracking the whip! I hope that knowing OH and I are closely monitoring will concentrate her mind.

But as parents finding out what they are supposed to do has been a losing battle in KS3 at this school. She just wants us to butt out but I'm not prepared to do so after the last 3 years' horrible moody patchy performance. If she was incapable it would be different!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I have emailed all my son's teachers to find out when controlled assessments are due when mock exams will be, when revision classes will start.

His teachers have been really helpful and given me great detail as to what is happening when.

I have ordered a wall planner and a pin board, at my son's request, so that he can make a start on planning revision and keeping on top of everything!!

Have just got to work out now which revision sessions to go to as maths and geography clash!!!
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I'd like to join you if that's OK: DS1 is starting Y10.
He is doing a combination of iGCSEs, GCSEs and Level 2 Certificates.
First controlled assessment this term (!) and first paper in May 2015.
caring star

Post by caring star »

Glad to See GCSE 2015!
Just like mentioned before -its good if we got some revision Hints/ tips or any mock exams. Thanks :idea:
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

DD going into Y10 so would also like to join the thread :) I'm hoping the school will provide some clarity over the coming months. She has already done one GCSE (ICT) in year 9. I know English will be an IGCSE but not really sure about the others.
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Please count me in!

I have a DS going into year 11 but will be doing mostly iGCSEs.

I have a DD about to sit the 11+ in a couple of weeks time, a DS in year 5 about to embark on formal 11+ prep so I'll certainly be busy this academic year!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:I'm surprised the school doesn't hand out a schedule of when all the assignments are. We find it useful so departments don't schedule them at the same time ....

Look on the school website for any KS4 booklet with syllabuses listed which is usually dstributed around option time.
I wish our school was as organised as yours! I have trouble even finding out what board they are doing. The options section gets changed each year, so is now out of date for the year 11s (not even sure it mentions board/controlled assessments anyway.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now