GCSE Double awards ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: GCSE Double awards ?

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:You can get Double Awards in PE too.

DD did single award PE, DS did double which entailed being tested in 8 sports rather than 4 (unsurprisingly) and an extra written paper. Couldn't quite see the point to be honest, but he seemed to enjoy it :D
8 sports? 8? Are there 8 sports?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

:lol: Only one worth talking about in our family ...

There are also Twin Award GCSEs in maths and you can get different grades in the two strands.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote::lol: Only one worth talking about in our family ....
I suspect it's the same one as in our family...leather on willow eh. And the willow from our own garden has been used to make some very famous bats in the past. Really. 8)
Sigh.

As you were. :D
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Does the 'level1/2' bit refer to IGCSEs? The certificate versions, which are the ones allowed in state schools, are called 'Level1/2 Certificates'. They are the same exam - not sure why they are referred to as 'level 1/2'

Also vocational qualifications can be taken at level 1 or level 2 - level 2 being GCSE standard

And WJEC exam board offer level 1 and level 2 certificates in Latin

Maybe it is one of these?
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

This is the Science one which had me baffled....

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/ ... award-8404" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think this might be a new iGCSE ?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Yes, that is the certificate version of the IGCSE. I think AQA are fairly new to the IGCSE game, they are usually set by Cambridge or EDEXCEL
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Certificate version ?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

The government originally didn't allow schools to enter students for IGCSEs. Well, it did, but they did not count towards league tables. Private schools used them and state schools wanted to, so in the end state schools were given permission to count them, but OFQAL didn't want to them to be called IGCSEs because it sounded too much like GCSE so they are called Level1/2 certificates instead. They are the same exam papers - each paper has both the IGCSE code and the Certificate code printed on it. I think the only subject where there is a difference is English because there has to be a speaking and listening component for it to count in schools, and I think they include a coursework element which IGCSEs don't. Universities etc accept them just like GCSEs.

There is some information here -http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edex ... fault.aspx
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

8 sports? 8? Are there 8 sports?
:lol: Amber

Just to clarify, GCSE PE doesn't require participation in so-called 'traditional' team sports – it can include activities such as orienteering (which might be done through Scouts/Explorers etc), trampolining, dance, rock climbing (or on a climbing wall), archery, circuit training… anything really. So children who are generally active shouldn't necessarily be put off taking it just because they aren't keen on the football/netball/hockey type of sports.

Both my two thoroughly enjoyed it as a break from more academic subjects.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

2childmum wrote:The government originally didn't allow schools to enter students for IGCSEs. Well, it did, but they did not count towards league tables. Private schools used them and state schools wanted to, so in the end state schools were given permission to count them, but OFQAL didn't want to them to be called IGCSEs because it sounded too much like GCSE so they are called Level1/2 certificates instead. They are the same exam papers - each paper has both the IGCSE code and the Certificate code printed on it. I think the only subject where there is a difference is English because there has to be a speaking and listening component for it to count in schools, and I think they include a coursework element which IGCSEs don't. Universities etc accept them just like GCSEs.

There is some information here -http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edex ... fault.aspx
I am really struggling with all this! I have read the exam board web sites, such as Edexel, and I came to the same conclusion....that the "Level1/2 Certificate" is exactly the same as the iGCSE, except that the "certificate" is the one which is taught in UK state schools, and therefore counts in league tables.
However, if that is the only difference, and the two papers have the same code etc (which they certainly do seem to, although I didn't check every paper!) then why is there big red letters all over the Edexel web site directing you to either the International pages, or the Certificate pages? Why do two identical exam papers need two different sections of a web site. This is why I thought I had got it all wrong until I read 2childmum's post.
On top of that....there is an announcement on the Edexel page about this certificate not being recognised once the changes in GCSEs come in....

"DfE announcement on performance tables from 2017

In July 2014, the DfE announced the qualifications which will count in 2017 performance tables. The announcement means that current arrangements for recognising level 1/level 2 Certificates will end with the introduction of reformed GCSEs, with last recognition summer 2016."

Anyone able to explain it to me....? Very confused here.... :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now