DD given a Case Study on Friday which is due on Monday

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: DD given a Case Study on Friday which is due on Monday

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:
KS10 - I think if we stopped homework for a week we'd get parental complaints!

Not in this house. Thankfully DDs school say there is no homework to be set during school holidays, so at least they get chance to have a real then. At half term, the head told them to tell their parents that the girls were not to do any school work during half term whatsoever.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Document ... 201314.pdf

This explains more about controlled assessments.
Great link, thank you. Very helpful:)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Note on page 17:

Is the centre allowed to tell candidates what marks they have been awarded?

Yes. The centre may disclose marks to candidates provided that it is made clear that the moderation process may result in changes to marks. Centres should not attempt to convert marks to grades in advance of the publication of results

(my highlighting of not)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ok, so maybe just learning hwk for that week or time to look over the work covered in class (and no holiday homework). Revision is homework and I'd like to believe that parents would accept this. This is crucial for DD, who really needs a bit more time to absorb information but is so busy completing tasks that she hardly ever has time to revise what she has done.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Surely they should give more classroom preparation and time to do it?
I know your DD misunderstood the homework but this is a common problem (even among those who are able) because the explanation of homework can be rushed. I prefer it when it's set at the start of the lesson because pupils are then given plenty of time to ask questions and note down accurately what is required . When it's done at the end with under 5 mins to go, misunderstandings can happen.
KB

Post by KB »

Realky if its research for controlled assessment it would be better if it were written down and/or details available on web site then pupils and parents would be clear about guidelines.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Note on page 17:

Is the centre allowed to tell candidates what marks they have been awarded?

Yes. The centre may disclose marks to candidates provided that it is made clear that the moderation process may result in changes to marks. Centres should not attempt to convert marks to grades in advance of the publication of results

(my highlighting of not)
I am always surprised when I hear of children being told they got this or that grade for these things. I wonder why it happens? My lot have been told things like you got 16/18, we don't know where the grade boundary will be or if it will be moderated but last year that would have been an A - that kind of thing. And then I wonder if we are missing a trick.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When maths did have coursework, we were very clear that marks were 'an indication' and to inform students as to whether the piece was in line with their prediction.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ok, thank you guest55 I think I get it now, so if the teachers can share the title with the students in advance of the assessment, then really it is about the ability to reproduce an essay they have perfected with teacher/tutor/parent assistance under timed conditions. Much like an exam essay, but easier to get done well as they have the title, but heftier in content. Presumably very in depth research and exact planning of the essay and production of a perfect draft is hugely important to the end result. Does this not give unfair advantage to children who have parents, siblings, friends etc who are able to ably assist in the prep?
I am beginning to worry again now, that I will be psychologically forced into helping the boys with their prep, when I would rather be knitting socks and watching trailer trash tv.

Seemingly there is no short term benefit to allowing the child to just get on with it themselves, although long term I can see my preferred method of ignoring them until they cry or bribe me with chocolate, may result in more robust self driven research ability for A levels and further education.

Glad your daughter sorted herself out op, I can imagine my son getting a little over whelmed and in a pickle next year, so I do feel for you.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

sorry posted in the wrong section