GCSE Options History vs french( with a bit about computing)

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DC17C

Re: History vs french

Post by DC17C »

Perhaps I should be thinking laterally and DD could do this at home.
:lol:
http://www.cambridgegcsecomputing.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:I would also check the perceived value of computing
this is about the only time I have ever disagreed with KB

Computing is highly valued although it is true not as much as FML's or x3 Sciences

and 9 gcse's is more than sufficient even for Oxbridge or Med School

recently I have become a bit of expert at Computing Qualifications but having said that I wouldn't touch ICT with a the proverbial barge pole!

it's so refreshing to see a girl into computing :D

go for it ,girl!!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think it is early days for this GCSE but it has to be a growth area and more girls need to get involved in computing and see it as a possible career.
KB

Post by KB »

Catseye wrote:
KB wrote:I would also check the perceived value of computing
this is about the only time I have ever disagreed with KB

Computing is highly valued although it is true not as much as FML's or x3 Sciences

and 9 gcse's is more than sufficient even for Oxbridge or Med School

recently I have become a bit of expert at Computing Qualifications but having said that I wouldn't touch ICT with a the proverbial barge pole!

it's so refreshing to see a girl into computing :D

go for it ,girl!!

Again, please look at what I actually wrote.
I suggested it might be sensible to check.
That was all.
I did not voice an opinion.
9 GCSEs is on the lower side for the most competitive uni courses so if you were doing 9 you would want to be sure none of them was going to be discounted by those who are most picky - if you were thinking of applying for those courses.

It was a flagging up of items for consideration not a pronouncement!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

8 GCSEs is more than enough .... quality of grades, not quantity.

I know several girls going off to do Computing degrees this year ....
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:8 GCSEs is more than enough .... quality of grades, not quantity.

I know several girls going off to do Computing degrees this year ....
you got in before me g55
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

DC17C wrote:Hi G55 thanks for the reply - the History is 20th century and does look good....but that might b more me speaking than dd but history has been an interest for dd for a long time. Yes the technology subject is graphics - she wanted art but that clashed with computing. I am very much in favour of her doing what she is happy to do ...but it seems like she cannot do what she would have chosen which would have been french, history art and computing because they are limited to 9 GCSEs and some subjects clash :?
Surprised you know the course content. Teaching from 2016 has not (to the best of my knowledge) been confirmed yet. In April 2014 the Government announced the following:

' GCSE specifications should include history:
• from three eras: Medieval (500-1500), Early Modern (1450-1750) and Modern
(1700-present day)
• on three time scales: short (depth study), medium (period study) and long
(thematic study)
• on three geographical contexts: a locality (the historic environment); British; and
European and / or wider world settings
British history1 must form a minimum of 40% of the assessed content over the full course.'

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gcse-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am hoping more detail will be forthcoming before my DS has to make his final options choice in March.
Not sure of the school year of your child. Perhaps they will be the last to be taught on the 'old' system.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The document you reference covers subject content from first teaching in 2016. The current year 9, who are choosing their options this year, will be taught from 2015. So the latest edict won't apply to them, which is why schools are able to be certain of what they will offer. Most exam boards revised their History content in 2013 anyway. And with a general election coming up, well who knows which particular ideologies the incoming government will wish to promulgate via the History curriculum?

And I totally agree that 9 GCSEs is plenty. Universities tend to look at the best 8. I have watched 2 of my former pupils get into Russell Group universities with 5 (due to illness) and 3 (lived abroad) GCSEs.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Computer science is currently viewed as a science for ebac purposes, not that that really means anything. My DS plans to take it as an option. I agree that I think it can only be seen as positive if a girl takes it (not being sexist!) just might be something that would differentiate from the norm? I am concerned about the changing GCSE course content as my DS has to choose his GCSE's in Year 8 even though he won't be taking them until year 11 when so much may have changed. General election, course content changing too. Does anyone know any more about this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now