Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:31 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am
Posts: 299
My DS is in Yr 10 and he is not doing ICT/Computing as part of his GCSE subjects and he may not be doing at his A levels, as we may be concentrating on Maths/Sciences in his 6th Form.

We may apply for Computer science for Univerisy but I am just thinking he should do some kind of ICT/Programming soon so that he will know what is Computer programming and all. He will also have a clue on if he is going to like Programming or not ? hence I am looking for him to do some Programming course outside school.

Do you know any Educational Instituions/Group tutions who does provide this kind of traning

Please suggest and thanks for your help


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11936
He can teach himself online - scratch is a good starting point (used in primary).

Some students get a Raspberry Pi and create coding for that. Universities ask for Maths (and some F Maths) for a computing degree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 pm
Posts: 930
Hi these might be of interest:

http://www.cambridgegcsecomputing.org/

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cat ... nd-digital


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am
Posts: 299
I am looking for a Summer course etc to happen in Institute and not online


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 382
I had been looking for a tutor in Python for my daughter for ages and eventually I put an add in Oxford University HUB newsletter and have found a really lovely DPhil student to teach her. Can I suggest that you try your local Uni newsletter?


Last edited by Eccentric on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11936
I understand but it will look more impressive on a UCAS form if it has been self-taught.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 2814
harrow123 wrote:
My DS is in Yr 10 and he is not doing ICT/Computing as part of his GCSE subjects and he may not be doing at his A levels, as we may be concentrating on Maths/Sciences in his 6th Form.

We may apply for Computer science for Univerisy but I am just thinking he should do some kind of ICT/Programming soon so that he will know what is Computer programming and all. He will also have a clue on if he is going to like Programming or not ? hence I am looking for him to do some Programming course outside school.

Do you know any Educational Instituions/Group tutions who does provide this kind of traning

Please suggest and thanks for your help



...."we may be concentrating.....We may apply for Computer science...."???? :shock:

So, you are going to be doing the same A levels and applying for a degree at the same time as him? :shock: May I respectfully suggest that you let him choose his A levels and degree based on his interests, abilities and affinities, not yours. If he is really interested, trying "Scratch" at home on his own, will give him a really good insight - if he hates it, then you won't have wasted any money on a summer course at an institution...other forms of childcare are available!! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 pm
Posts: 434
I'd second a raspberry pi. Self taught is definitely possible, there are lots of online resources. Coding is a great skill, especially along with traditional sciences.

On a slightly different tack, if you're looking for some inspiration I'd recommend 'Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore' by Robin Slone or 'The Fear Index' by Robert Harris. Both have interesting stories with a background of coding, quick reads too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm
Posts: 2149
kenyancowgirl wrote:
harrow123 wrote:
My DS is in Yr 10 and he is not doing ICT/Computing as part of his GCSE subjects and he may not be doing at his A levels, as we may be concentrating on Maths/Sciences in his 6th Form.

We may apply for Computer science for Univerisy but I am just thinking he should do some kind of ICT/Programming soon so that he will know what is Computer programming and all. He will also have a clue on if he is going to like Programming or not ? hence I am looking for him to do some Programming course outside school.

Do you know any Educational Instituions/Group tutions who does provide this kind of traning

Please suggest and thanks for your help



...."we may be concentrating.....We may apply for Computer science...."???? :shock:

So, you are going to be doing the same A levels and applying for a degree at the same time as him? :shock: May I respectfully suggest that you let him choose his A levels and degree based on his interests, abilities and affinities, not yours. If he is really interested, trying "Scratch" at home on his own, will give him a really good insight - if he hates it, then you won't have wasted any money on a summer course at an institution...other forms of childcare are available!! :wink:


My thoughts entirely. When we had our talk about transition to sixth form at my son's school they were very, very clear that A level choices should absolutely be our offspring's decision, not ours. They are the ones who have to commit to doing all that work, after all, so they have to be passionate (sorry, horrible overused word) about their subject choices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4590
Location: Essex
Peridot wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:
harrow123 wrote:
My DS is in Yr 10 and he is not doing ICT/Computing as part of his GCSE subjects and he may not be doing at his A levels, as we may be concentrating on Maths/Sciences in his 6th Form.

We may apply for Computer science for Univerisy but I am just thinking he should do some kind of ICT/Programming soon so that he will know what is Computer programming and all. He will also have a clue on if he is going to like Programming or not ? hence I am looking for him to do some Programming course outside school.

Do you know any Educational Instituions/Group tutions who does provide this kind of traning

Please suggest and thanks for your help



...."we may be concentrating.....We may apply for Computer science...."???? :shock:

So, you are going to be doing the same A levels and applying for a degree at the same time as him? :shock: May I respectfully suggest that you let him choose his A levels and degree based on his interests, abilities and affinities, not yours. If he is really interested, trying "Scratch" at home on his own, will give him a really good insight - if he hates it, then you won't have wasted any money on a summer course at an institution...other forms of childcare are available!! :wink:


My thoughts entirely. When we had our talk about transition to sixth form at my son's school they were very, very clear that A level choices should absolutely be our offspring's decision, not ours. They are the ones who have to commit to doing all that work, after all, so they have to be passionate (sorry, horrible overused word) about their subject choices.


Unless we are talking about QE here, in which case all these fine words may be a little redundant?

Sorry, off-topic :roll: .

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016