GCSE options in year 8

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hera

GCSE options in year 8

Post by Hera »

I am very disappointed that in DS' school they have to make their GCSE choices in year 8 now not year 9. DS has to make 2 choices with 2 reserve options. He is looking at Geog/History, one is compulsory and then he can take the other as an option, so he may take both. He definitely wants to take Computing and then the other options he is considering are Latin and Classics. Would taking both Geography and History be quite a heavy choice? Would he be better substituting either Geography or History with Latin? If he could put all 3 he would at the moment as he can't decide. Computing will definitely be choice 1, then either Hist/Geog 2 or Latin 2. It is probably the Geography that will be dropped if he decides to bump the Latin up from reserve to option and Classics will be 4.
Amber

Re: GCSE options in year 8

Post by Amber »

I would be annoyed too if my child had to choose in Y8 - one would have hoped that with the new terminal GCSE courses this kind of thing would have ended.

My older son has done both Geography and History and hasn't found it heavy going; his younger brother has opted to do the same. That said, Latin is in my view a fabulous subject - DD did that and loved it. I think any of those combinations would be fine. Can't comment on Computing though as no experience of that.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have dds in Y10 and Y11 who both do Geography and History and love them and will continue them to A level. I also think Latin is wonderful and wish all state schools would offer it. All three are great interesting choices and highly prized by Universities so you can't go wrong. DG
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My son has enjoyed doing Latin for GCSE, both the language and the literature, and would I'm sure recommend it to others, especially if they have an interest in European languages. Forgive my ignorance but what does Classics GCSE involve?

Easter of Year 8 does sound very early to be choosing options.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There are few schools where GCSE course starts in year 9. Children there have to choose the options before end of yr 8. Heard that one of the local GS is also planning to start their gcse core subjects (science, maths and English) from yr 9.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

In my son's year at Tiffin they started on the GCSE curriculum for the three sciences in year 9 but as these were compulsory, and not options they could choose, it wasn't a problem. (Maths and English equally are compulsory although I don't know when they started the actual curriculum.) It's such a pity if children are having to make final decisions on optional subjects at that age though - so young.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

key stage 3 in English and Maths has a lot of cross-over with GCSEs anyway , e.g Math goes upto level 8 approx grade B at GCSE, and how do they know the specifications for Eng Lit since the required texts ect are not released by the Exam Boards, that early?
Hera

Post by Hera »

It's such a pity if children are having to make final decisions on optional subjects at that age though - so young.
I totally agree, DS is only 12. The other element of taking the options so early is that the boys will lose the broad KS3 curriculum, so DS will no longer be doing Art, Music, Tech etc. in year 9. I think from the comments people have made about the subject mix I just need to make sure he understands what they include and not influence him in any way. My preference would be Latin but I hated geography at school so a rather biased opinion. The other difficulty is because the GCSEs are changing for 2018 the school does not know the board or course content for most of the subjects yet either.

Peridot by Classics I meant Classical Civilisation which is basically the life, culture, ideas, myths and monuments of the Greeks and Romans. This will be our second reserve option so I would suspect he would be unlikely to get it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it is particularly unfortunate as the specifications aren't even published for the new syllabuses. How can they prepare a scheme of work and teach it in September?!

Do look at the timeline I posted to see what the implications are.