Science GCSEs - double and triple?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Science GCSEs - double and triple?

Post by doodles »

Two sciences and a third language would have suited my DS much better - it's a case of horses for courses. He knew right from prep school that science really isn't his bag but he finds languages really easy.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Yes Doodles my DS is exactly the same. Struggling with 3 sciences (his physics might actually finish me off) but adores languages and super luckily finds them easy.

When entrance into 6th form so tough at so many schools (he's at Judd) it seems harsh that they are measured on so many compulsory subjects (at higher IGcse level too).

With 2 weeks to go i am probably just feeling sorry for myself though :lol:
kent mum
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

For us DC chose triple science, loves all elements and would do all three every day of the week (plus History their other favourite) and not bother with any other subject. Not surprising their choice for A-levels and the thought of spending the next two years studying all the sciences is their greatest joy :shock:
Heartmum x x x
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

loobylou wrote:Yes I think hardly any of us did 3 sciences. I wanted to do medicine so it was an easier choice for me. Dd definitely doesn't (thankfully) so that's not an issue.
People may think there is little relationship between A level physics and Law for example, but they would be wrong, there is precision in the language/terminology used in the definitions of the fundamental Laws of nature and the logical deduction methods used in these two subjects and being a good lawyer involves this type of thinking.

Scientific thinking applies to all rigorous subjects/career paths and imo nothing beats Maths and Further Maths alongside the 3 sciences , that's why they are the most valued and respected subjects for university entry.

they are not easy , but nothing worth while is ever easy.

I would always recommend triple science over dual science(if offered) to keep as many doors open at the age of 14

just my opinion.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Catseye wrote:Scientific thinking applies to all rigorous subjects/career paths and imo nothing beats Maths and Further Maths alongside the 3 sciences , that's why they are the most valued and respected subjects for university entry.

they are not easy , but nothing worth while is ever easy.

just my opinion.
Perhaps I won't show my linguist son this comment....... Nothing like being written off just because you don't like science! :shock: I hadn't realised that being fluent in two languages post university (he wants to do French and Italian) was not only going to be easy but not worthwhile!!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

"Scientific thinking applies to all rigorous subjects/career paths"

Sorry, catseye; just not true. You've managed to make this household rather cross!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Peridot wrote:"Scientific thinking applies to all rigorous subjects/career paths"

Sorry, catseye; just not true. You've managed to make this household rather cross!
I think you may find I am right in the real world and at no point did I say or imply that MFL or Ancient Languages are not worthwhile , they are but this thread is about the advantages and disadvantages of dual and triple science at GCSE.

My son hates MFL because he finds them very hard but I am glad the school insisted even though I could of intervened and persuaded them to let him do something else (I can be very persuasive especially as I directly help to pay their wages!)- it was the best thing he could of done , to overcome one's weakness and work disproportionately hard at a subject that he has no natural aptitude for and consequently in the future have a mindset that he do anything( it may take him longer than natural linguists)

If he gets an A* at his Spanish IGCSE it would not only be great achievement for him, but from my perspective it would give me the greatest pride because I know how hard he had to try.

at gcse level it's all about keeping doors open until they are old enough make informed decisions and that does include x3 sciences and at least one MFL (or ancient language).

it's only my opinion, not Gospel I am no expert I have no real evidence except you my want to look at this

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 57643.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STEM subjects are without exception the hardest A levels

http://www.score-education.org/media/31 ... iculty.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now