How Many GCSE's is too many?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: How Many GCSE's is too many?

Post by Guest55 »

There is no time before GCSE are taken but we do feel that having 'proper' lessons on induction day is very important.

We also expect the holiday work to be completed and some schools have tests early in September linked to the preparation work!
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Guest55 wrote:There is no time before GCSE are taken but we do feel that having 'proper' lessons on induction day is very important.

We also expect the holiday work to be completed and some schools have tests early in September linked to the preparation work!
May be just for DCs who are not sure about which A levels to choose or there are still not sure about what subject they are going to read at university? Taster days should be in Year 11 rather than at the beginning of Year 12 which I think is a bit disruptive to a DC when he/she is suppose to be ready to start their A level rather than just having a trial run.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Our induction days are in June ... and the work given out then to be done over the summer.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Guest55 wrote:Our induction days are in June ... and the work given out then to be done over the summer.
Thanks for clarifying. :D

Hopefully all schools will do the same!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Many schools do the same, including both Tiffins.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes tiffinboys, I thought it was the 'norm' but from posts on here, perhaps not?
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

DC gave his choices for GCSE in April and we have not received any formal reply from school. When asked the DC, :roll: says looks like I am OK to take all my choices. I guess the school would have contacted the DC in school and written to us if any issues arose in the choices.

the school has kept R&P as compulsory, and given to choose 8 more from English, Maths, Sciences, Humanities, Drama, Food Science, Languages. So I guess total will be 9 GCSE

Don't even know where to start? I wonder if all exams will be in 2017 summer or any exams will be in 2016? :) :shock: 8)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All courses are linear so unless they are doing a course in one year then all exams should be in 2017. I'm surprised you haven't had a letter confirming choices; did you get an option booklet with the syllabus details?
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Hi Guest55, thanks, no, not received any confirmation letter till the schools closed. I guess I should have called school on my own behalf. We got the general booklet at the time of application, with all courses ie AQA or OCR or iGCSE with each subject.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...Hopefully the school didn't just make R&P compulsory?!! Surely Maths, English and Science (and possibly a MFL) were too, leaving only 2 or 3 actual "options"?