GCSEs 2016

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lefol

Re: GCSEs 2016

Post by lefol »

How are your DCs preparing for their GCSEs? Has the penny finally dropped ? Are they revising without any prompting and are they doing more than 30 minutes worth of revision without Facebook, Twitter, snap chat and Instagram? Constant prompting here!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I'm a bit early into this thread as DS will be doing his GCSEs in 2017, but I thought a bit of advance insight may be useful.

I know the curriculum is changing/has changed - does anyone know whether 2017 GCSEs are going to be very different from 2016? Or is 2016 the first year of the new exam format/content/marking scheme? I have downloaded some past papers - are they likely to be useful in revision for the new style exams? It's always a bit tricky to be a guinea pig for the new system...

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's only maths & English that are changing for 2017 - the school should make this clear. There will be details on the exam websites & sample papers. G55 has a sticky somewhere with all the timelines. Will link to it when I'm not on my phone.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

This is the link that Guest55 posted:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... year-group

The Sticky is at the top of 'GCSEs'
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum, scarymum, thank you both, much appreciated. I will have a look at the link. And thank you, Guest55 for posting that link. :D
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Are we all set, Y11 parents? :D

Are we leaving them to sink or swim?

Or is everything under control? :shock:

How are your DC's revising?

ARE they revising?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

silverysea wrote:
How are your DC's revising?

ARE they revising?
DS2 has decided to adopt a high risk strategy of not revising as such but doing past papers and then filling in the gaps. I'm having to moderate my interventions so we don't have a relationship breakdown.

I've gone from despair at his lack of work to accepting that some work, past papers, is better than nothing.

Have a new found admiration for teachers who have to mark papers, it is such an effort. :oops:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

That's interesting, I thought that past papers was a GOOD strategy?

To find weak areas to work on-but maybe he isn't following through?

I'd be pleased if dd1 did even that-maybe she is?

I am firmly pushed out of the loop.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

silverysea wrote:That's interesting, I thought that past papers was a GOOD strategy?

To find weak areas to work on-but maybe he isn't following through?
It is good but would be better if he revised all topics first, but I suspect that is beyond his powers of concentration, am hoping he is working through the huge volume of revision set on-line by his school. The current record is a 114 page power-point presentation on physics that I almost printed, bet he's not read it online.......

Marking past papers and seeing dropped marks is painful, and multi-mark questions not attempted is despair inducing for me, but he is starting to realise what is needed to turn his B grades into the desired A, in a few subjects at least.

Maybe I'm being unfair as his older brother and younger sister have a more rigorous and time consuming, note making revising style before attempting past papers. Each to their own.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 has been doing 3-4 hours a day this week. 50% of that time has been spent answering Science questions on Tassomai, 30% on answering Maths practice questions, 15% on making brief notes from Science revision guides and 5% on testing himself on Latin vocab.

I'd like to see more of a balance between subjects, but at least he is mostly doing revision activities.