Top State Schools ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Top State Schools ?

Post by Tinkers »

SteveDH wrote:"Grammar schools ....... They also have fewer pupils from ethnic groups."

Interesting as the grammar schools I know about are the exact opposite.

Same here too.
KB

Post by KB »

And here....
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

SteveDH wrote:"Grammar schools ....... They also have fewer pupils from ethnic groups."

Interesting as the grammar schools I know about are the exact opposite.
Yes same here too. Children from ethnic groups make up around 60% of pupils at DC's GS, although there are far fewer people from ethnic groups in the local area.
KB

Post by KB »

And while certain special needs children won't be suited to a GS education our local super selective has seen a rise in the numbers of boys with SEN. Hopefully that demonstrates that those with the academic ability to thrive in the environment are gaining access despite any SpLDs.

The low representation of free school dinner children is no doubt a real issue and one that some local GS have been trying to address by recent changes in the selection tests to try to reduce the influence of 'coaching'.

The GS debate is always a heated one!
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I think the way that disadvantaged children are measured in schools should be changed. The problem with using free school dinners as a measure is that it only measures those who are not working. It does not measure those on a vey low income. Someone who is working and claiming working tax credit even if it is full working tax credit e.g they only earn £6,400 a year which is then topped up by the working tax credit and child tax credit cannot get free school meals for their child, because the working tax credit is supposed to cover that cost. There are many, many very low waged single parent families out there, who do work but do not qualify for free school meals or any of the help that is attached to the FSM status, such as free school buses. These families to my knowledge (and I don't claim to be an expert in this) don't show up on any school statistics.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

* Income Support
* income-based Jobseekers Allowance
* income-related Employment and Support Allowance
* support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
* the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
* Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
* Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
* Universal Credit

https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

What a good idea. I'm not at all sure how they would get a measure as I gues people would be very reluctant to reveal salaries, but it would be great if they could. I wonder if, whilst people may not be keen to reveal high salaries for personal reasons, possibly a question about "do you consider your family to be in a low income category, maybe below 20k, might work? Not sure, but you're right about the FSM.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Guest55 wrote:Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

* Income Support
* income-based Jobseekers Allowance
* income-related Employment and Support Allowance
* support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
* the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
* Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
* Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
* Universal Credit

https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My point entirely no one in their right mind would not take the working tax credit. So that leaves people who are unemployed.
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Yamin151 wrote:What a good idea. I'm not at all sure how they would get a measure as I gues people would be very reluctant to reveal salaries, but it would be great if they could. I wonder if, whilst people may not be keen to reveal high salaries for personal reasons, possibly a question about "do you consider your family to be in a low income category, maybe below 20k, might work? Not sure, but you're right about the FSM.
It could be done by anyone who has a free prescription card being deemed as disadvantaged financially. That would mean that low waged would be on the stats too. (This is not me by the way, just making a point that I think is often missed by those that do not understand the system).
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

I agree, it's not always truly representative.
A friend of mine who is divorced receives a very large monthly sum from her ex who is a barrister. She does not work but as the maintenance from her ex does not go through PAYE, she is entitled to maximum child tax credits, free prescriptions as well as free school meals and more. This is despite the maintenance being far higher than the average salary!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now