Dropping a GCSE at the beginning of year 11

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MerlinFromCamelot

Dropping a GCSE at the beginning of year 11

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Hi,

My friends DD is desperate to drop Latin. She had had a few health problems and although she would be able to catch up on the subject she is worried that this maybe at the expense of her other subjects. Her way if thinking is that it is better to have 10 good GCSEs than 11 not so good ones. The school insists that she continues with all 11 subject because they think she has potential to do well.

The strange thing is that they have allowed other students to drop Latin, in fact loads dropped out after Christmas last year.

Does anyone know of there is anything a parent can do in this instance or does the school indeed have the final say?

Thanks.
Tolstoy

Re: Dropping a GCSE at the beginning of year 11

Post by Tolstoy »

I am guessing if she well and truly flunks a few key tests they will revise their decision as that would affect their stats and league table position. She certainly doesn't need the extra stress if she's already had health problems and surely 10 great GCSEs is enough for anyone.
MerlinFromCamelot

That is what I said to my friend. The poor girl missed most if her end of year exams before the summer because she was in hospital. She had to then do one paper after the other when she got back so with little time to revise and got mostly Bs and 4As except for Latin where she girls an E!! She was going to try to catch up but again sadly she had already missed abt 7 days of school because of hospital appointments. All absences have been justified with hospital appointment letters.

I'm not an expert and I don't know all the facts but it seems to me that the school could perhaps be more sympathetic?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No-one needs 11 GCSEs, so they should let her drop it. They are thinking of their league tables, not her education.
scary mum
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote:That is what I said to my friend. The poor girl missed most if her end of year exams before the summer because she was in hospital. She had to then do one paper after the other when she got back so with little time to revise and got mostly Bs and 4As except for Latin where she girls an E!! She was going to try to catch up but again sadly she had already missed abt 7 days of school because of hospital appointments. All absences have been justified with hospital appointment letters.

I'm not an expert and I don't know all the facts but it seems to me that the school could perhaps be more sympathetic?

Hearing that I think the school are acting appallingly. Yes she probably could get an A or B as she is obviously very bright and motivated but at what cost. I think if it was my DC I would be quite insistent that under the circumstances she will be dropping the subject.
MerlinFromCamelot

Question is who has the final say the school or the student & parents?

My friend was keen for her DD to stick with Latin so it is a decision they have talked about, the decision was not taken lightly. She was however rather shocked that the school are saying she can not drop it.

Totally unbelievable imo. I was going to suggest she requests a meeting with the head but wanted to see what others are saying first as I can be a tad impulsive! I'm probably one of those parents and don't want to lead others to the dark side unnecessarily!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

There are some secondary teachers on here who must be able to help, I too can be a bit fiery, when I feel an injustice is happening.

I have seen Amber around today and G55 would be good but is being quiet of late. Not sure if it's okay to drop one of them a pm. Also moved is now a primary head but pretty sure was a secondary teacher previously. All would give sound advice on an issue like this.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

If the worst comes to the worst and the school 'makes' her take the Latin then she shouldn't put any effort into it and even less into the exam. She should cincentrate all her efforts into the other ten subjects and excel at those. They can't 'make' her work, even if they insist she turns up.

Disgraceful behaviour from a school (my dd dropped latin after the 1st year, it was too much effort for what she was getting out of it.).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Did DF get this sorted Merlin? I have asked around and the school can't make DC sit the test against parents and DC wishes.

Snowdrop makes a good point but a concientious student would find that difficult and it would also stay forever on her certificate as a low mark which she may not want.
MerlinFromCamelot

Apparently the head of learning has referred the matter to the deputy head. My friend told me that the school is now also saying that dropping the subject may effect her chances to get back in to sixform?

I have asked around as well but there does not seem to be a clear set in stone guide as to whom can make the final decision on this occasion.

I met with the same deputy head in the past regarding a total separate issue with my own DD and I can say that she is one of the most unpleasant people I have ever met.
So fingers crossed I will update if I hear anything…
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now