Taking GCSE privately

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Taking GCSE privately

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools require at least a grade B at GCSE for A level maths and many of the top schools want a grade A.

So a grade C at Foundation isn't going to get you on an A level course; it is totally the wrong preparation.

OP, please read the ACME paper, it's only four pages.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

As an aside what does OP stand for? (i know what it implies)

Opening Poster?

BWT OP do what you think is best, I think you have enough opinions for and against to make an informed decision.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Close. OP stands for original poster.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Tinkers wrote:Close. OP stands for original poster.
Thanks

I was close wasn't I :) the story of my life, always close but not quite good enough but that's what you get for being a champion poohper.

My only claim to being a prodigy , I see no reason why I should not blow my own trumpet. :lol:

Don't you just love toilet humour? I really should grow up.
ninanina

Post by ninanina »

Having heard that the most competitive courses do not accept resits and that the first attempt needs to be declared at UCAS, I am completely dissuaded from taking GCSEs early.
Anyway, taking GCSEs early was just a thought and a suggestion from a friend. It just seemed to be a natural next step to follow, but having thought about it, we might settle with something more enjoyable for now, since after trying some coding at school, he is now asking for Lego mindstorms. :)

Thanks a lot for getting involved in discussion. I respect everyone's choices and if anyone felt their dc was able and willing to go that route, it is their choice, just worth bearing in mind that less than a grade A wouldn't give justice to such an able mathematician, so I would think best to do it when they are ready and able to get an A!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think he will get a lot of of a mind storm.

A bit late for this year but look up first Lego league. That's something worth doing and will definitely stretch his mind.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread in detail but does he play a musical instrument? That could be another challenge to engage and stretch his brain, and there is a lot of correlation between music and maths. If he likes taking exams there are of course practical and theory music exams that he can work towards, and if he wants to be social there is a lot of fun to be had playing in ensembles of various kinds. Rather than encouraging him to push forward with maths for its own sake I think I'd be going for something to complement it.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Catseye wrote:As an aside what does OP stand for? (i know what it implies)

Opening Poster?

BWT OP do what you think is best, I think you have enough opinions for and against to make an informed decision.
As an aside to the aside what does BWT stand for?

By Way The? :lol:
russet

Post by russet »

Dd got A*.

There have been a couple of questions which I could answer. Firstly why? In our case dd was spending 5 hours a week in maths lessons doing things she had done a year or two previously. She was finding the boredom upsetting. Schools tried to convince us we were deluded in thinking she was so advanced, but also would not test her. Any tests we took from home were not counted as they were done at home. We did not want to spend the whole of her secondary school years debating which level she was at. She was level A* at GCSE, job done, end of dispute.

Secondly, I have already answered what she will do for maths in secondary in my previous post. If she gets bored with maths and no longer finds it fun, fine, but at the moment she is keen to go on learning more.

If you look at Khan Academy, you will see there is a lot to learn in maths and a site created by an MIT graduate will keep her going for some time, even if there are not suitable MOOCs online by the time she has taken A level maths and further maths.

Education is a journey and should not have false bounds of what every one else is doing placed on it.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Proud_Dad wrote:
Catseye wrote:As an aside what does OP stand for? (i know what it implies)

Opening Poster?

As an aside to the aside what does BWT stand for?

By Way The? :lol:
there goes my dyslexic brain again :wink: