GCSE's for 2018

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: GCSE's for 2018

Post by KB »

I many cases the A level version of a subject is very different from GCSE so enjoying the latter is no guarantee of success at the former.

If History or Geography are possibilities then they have the advantage of keeping more doors open. Both will teach skills that are useful for Economics A level. While Economics GCSE is better thought of than Business Studies on balance its still probably better to have History or Geography than Economics if the same grade is attainable.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

So just how 'bad' is business studies as a GCSE?

DD isn't interested in doing it as such (she's heard that it is boring), but in previous years they have had to put down a couple of reserve options. Given what's left over, it's likely this might end up as one of those reserves. :roll:
nyr

Post by nyr »

My understanding is that A levels have very high drop out rates. Higher than for some university courses, which run at over 10%.

Even after looking at module specifications, I think that there can be a large disconnect between student expectations and reality. Maybe there's a call for taster courses in which students get a chance to briefly explore some topics covered, learning outcomes and whatnot but I guess the reality is that teachers have enough workload as it is and wouldn't be too keen on organising these.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools run Sixth Form Induction days where there are Taster lessons and some departments set holiday homework.

Dropping a subject after early in October is considered a 'failure' in data so schools want to get it right. Sometimes students don't listen to advice and sometimes the advice is wrong - with all the A level changes I can't see it get easier to choose.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At DS2's school, one of the options for year 9 appears to be a sort of 'taster' for Economics and Business Studies. The individual subjects are then available as GCSE options in year 10. At least, I think that's the way it works. Aside from that, he is opting to take both History and Geography (as has his sister, who is two years older), triple science, Spanish as his compulsory language (plus French, which he will probably drop at the end of year 9), Computer Science and DT. He may change his mind about DT and take Art instead, as his current career choice is Architecture and Art seems to be considered more useful, even if (fortunately) few if any Schools of Architecture actually require it it A level.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Toadmum,
If he is more techy than arty, the introduction to cad on design and tech courses would be beneficial in helping him decide if he did wish to pursue some sort of course or career involving the design of buildings and structures....the whole concept of blue prints, or in today's age cad is very transferable. Art is great for showing off imagination, spacial awareness and let's face reality....that you can draw rather well, but d&t is a good intro and art and design certainly comes into play, particularly top grades require originality, accuracy and skill and a good basic knowledge of materials.
You only have to look at proto architecture to see how the lines are blurring now, or even big lumps of engineered architecture like the London eye.
Both art and d&t are about transferring the imagined into its reality.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry, lazy choice of words.

Rightly or wrongly, if a student is capable of good grades in traditional academic subjects at GCSE then this is almost always the best course of action.

Economics can easily be picked up at A level so taking it at GCSE reduces the number of other 'core' subjects that can be taken and therefore narrows future choices.

Business studies is generally seen as a softer option so for a student intending to follow an academic route it isn't what I would advise. As to how 'bad' a choice it is ( my poor choice of adjective originally) that depends on the number and selection of other subjects. If this is a 10th or 11th subject and the others are solid then I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Business studies has its place and for a student who is not so academic it allows access to a subject that can impart useful skills and the opportunity to demonstrate their ability and gain a solid grade in the exam. The fact it isn't a great choice for an academic student doesn't make it 'bad' in itself so apologies again for sloppiness. :oops:
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Can't believe GCSE options are taking place - where has the time gone?! dd is at GS and has so far decided triple science, geography and dance. Obviously, Maths, English and also RS are mandatory. She's undecided on the last choice. I would like her to take a language which she is 'ok' at but she has no desire to take these. Is Business Studies really frowned upon? From what she says, it's quite a popular option amongst her peers.

She's predicted A* or the equivalent of in dance and she's hoping to study some form of it at Uni eventually. She has certainly thrown herself in to the performing arts side at her GS. Currently in a National competition piece and is also in 2 of the 6th formers A Level choreography dances.

She knows what she wants to do but the last option of a GCSE is a sticking point!
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Buzzybee, one language is compulsory for DD, I don't think that's unusual, which is a good guide.

Tinkers, you mentioned that 11 GCSEs may be reduced to 10? Is this a reaction to the change to linear form? This is something that concerns me greatly but I'm wondering if I'm worrying unnecessarily - surely 11 is too many if there is no coursework? From the options booklet at DD's school it appears that only Art, Music, Drama and Business Communications have coursework. DD is not considering any of those so is looking at 10 or 11 linear GCSEs. I am worried that come exam time that will be too stressful and could result in an overall reduction in score, whereas 9 as we used to do would be more manageable. Is anyone else concerned about this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

An MFL is not compulsory in many schools [even GS!] - not all academic students want to take a language especially if their strengths are elsewhere.

What about music or drama buzzybee? Either would go well with dance.