GCSE and A level PE -massive reduction in sports.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
two of three

GCSE and A level PE -massive reduction in sports.

Post by two of three »

A warning to anyone currently choosing gcse or A level subjects and considering PE. The new specification has slashed the number and variety of sports available. So if your DC was expecting to use sports such as martial arts, circuit training, rounders or orienteering think again.

The new list is available here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -education
Guest55

Re: GCSE and A level PE -massive reduction in sports.

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I heard that - even an Olympic sport such as Archery has been excluded - crazy!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Yes I heard that - even an Olympic sport such as Archery has been excluded - crazy!
I can imagine that that was one of the ones felt to rely too much on outside input?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of our Bucks schools have strong links to local Archery clubs - some even have/had their own club.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Wow, I assume skiing and snowboarding (cannot be dry slope, cannot be recorded and sent in for assessment) must be for the more northern occupants of Britain? Also I don't understand why you can do tennis, badminton, squash together or footy and rugby, but not rowing g and canoeing.

The weird and wonderful minds of decision makers.
doodles

Post by doodles »

In all seriousness for those considering A level PE do look carefully at the course and the workload, please don't think of it as an easy option or less academic course. My completely sport mad DS is finding it very enjoyable but a big commitment time wise.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

What actually will be involved? Why is it so time consuming? I have a year 8 who seems to be leaning towards it for GCSE.
doodles

Post by doodles »

By the time your son gets to it silverysea it may be very different. However, at the moment it is not linear and there is heaps and heaps of coursework, a lot of human biology as well as participating in sport.

When the time comes just make sure you get an honest evaluation of what is involved for your particular course.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Ok, I just hope they don't change it so much again and again that no one knows what's going on, even the teachers.

Like now!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now