Mock exam results

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worriedmum1234

Mock exam results

Post by worriedmum1234 »

Hello everyone!

My son is currently in Year 11 at a Grammar school and will be appearing for his GCSE exams shortly.
Just received his mock exam results yesterday and his grade is C= in Geography
Can he do the higher tier paper for his GCSE?

Your advice and words of experience highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Worriedmum1234 :?
Guest55

Re: Mock exam results

Post by Guest55 »

A grade C now should be easy to move up to a B. Did the grade include coursework?

What do the school say?

Make sure that he goes through the paper with the mark scheme so he understands where he went wrong. The Examiners report is also useful feedabck and sometime gives examples of how questions were marked.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is his predicted grade? What was the feedback at Y11 parents evening? Dd2 is busy sitting GCSE mocks right now. I am expecting the results to show what work needs doing.

AS G55 advised go through the paper with the mark scheme and see where he lost the marks. DG
worriedmum1234

Post by worriedmum1234 »

Thanks for your response...
His Target grade is B for geography.
For other subjects like Maths, Chemistry he's got A+ although target grade was a B
Parents evening during the last week of this month.

Worried mum :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It sounds very strange that he is achieving so much higher than the predictions; what are they based on?

One grade lower than predictions is 'normal' for this stage - assuming predictions are based on something sensible! Many don't include coursework in the mock feedback as it probably hasn't been moderated within the school yet.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Probably depends on the school. My dh is a teacher. He lets them sit the higher paper if 1) he thinks they are capable of more than a C and 2) they will put in the required effort to get that.
Loads of his pupils got Cs and Ds in their mock - and will do the higher paper (and do well) because this is their wake up call. However if they don't pull their socks up the school will reserve the right to put them in for Foundation only...
worriedmum1234

Post by worriedmum1234 »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. I had parents evening last week...And pleased to inform that he has got B grade in Geog and he will therefore do the higher tier paper for GCSE!

Worriedmum1234
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now