Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:49 pm 

Hi All,

As the deadline for A Level Subject choices is soon now, Me and my son were wondering if taking Maths Physics and Economics will be a good choice?!
His school is offering these subjects from Edexcel Board. Your views and advice highly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Worriedmum1234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:03 pm 

worriedmum1234 wrote:
Hi All,

As the deadline for A Level Subject choices is soon now, Me and my son were wondering if taking Maths Physics and Economics will be a good choice?!
His school is offering these subjects from Edexcel Board. Your views and advice highly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Worriedmum1234

A perfectly respectable trio of subjects. Are these what he is good at and enjoys? What does he want to go on to do post A level?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:22 pm 

Hi ToadMum,

Thanks for your reply!

He loves Maths since being a child, plans to take up engineering post A-level. We thought of taking Economics because if he doesnt get a good uni for engineering then a degree in finance could be a good option too... Coz he loves to study Economics too!

Worriedmum1234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:25 pm 

Worriedmum1234 - he should thnik about taking Further Maths as well if he is serious about Engineering or Economics - some unis want to see both.

It's worth looking at a few uni websites to check.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:42 pm 

Guest55 wrote:
Worriedmum1234 - he should thnik about taking Further Maths as well if he is serious about Engineering or Economics - some unis want to see both.

It's worth looking at a few uni websites to check.

+1

FM would be essential imo also. Do 4 straight A levels ignore AS, General studies,Critical Thinking or the equally ridiculous EPQ no one takes them seriously! They are just common sense or general knowledge.

Don't worry g55 sooner or later we will find something to fall out about :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:37 am 

I'd agree, FM would be an excellent choice for engineering. I did maths, FM, physics and chemistry as did DH, and both went into chem eng.

Economics is also useful in engineering but to a lesser degree. I think most if not all eng courses will include economics in some form or another, I know mine did and that was quite some time ago. It's not necessary though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:45 am 

Catseye - you can't ignore AS levels in Maths and F Maths since they are still modular!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:56 am 

Guest55 wrote:
Catseye - you can't ignore AS levels in Maths and F Maths since they are still modular!

my mistake you are of course right. :oops:

never mind, theres time yet to find something to disagree about :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:09 pm 

Just because you don't rate or understand the EPQ, Catseye, stop calling it ridiculous. You sound pompous in the extreme.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:08 pm 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Just because you don't rate or understand the EPQ, Catseye, stop calling it ridiculous. You sound pompous in the extreme.

In thoery it sounds like a great idea but the whole qualification is wide open to abuse,I have never come across any student at my son's school that has not got an A*.

It has the same problems as course work no one knows who is doing the work-and university admin tutors know it.