Is Food Preparation and Nutrition, time consuming like Art?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Potterfan

Is Food Preparation and Nutrition, time consuming like Art?

Post by Potterfan »

The new Food Tech course AQA includes a 15 page (including photographic evidence) Written Portfolio of the prep, cooking and presentation of a menu of 3 dishes. This menu must be cooked within 3 hours. This contributes to 35% of the total marks.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is an onerous task?
My DC is not very practical, and I am not really au-fait with the type of recipes she may be expected to produce. I am a very boring cook and baking is not my forte.
Is it easy to get a very high grade in this subject?

The other components are a food investigation written report of 2000 words (15% of total marks).
KB

Re: Is Food Preparation and Nutrition, time consuming like

Post by KB »

If it's the new specification then ( like the others) it's going to be a bit of a shot in the dark ( but that's another whole discussion....).
There is a thread further back about Food Tech and the amount of work involved that might help.

Generally speaking the advantage of these type of assessments is for those students who don't like the pressure of exams. The downside is that to get high marks can be time consuming. However the independent learning aspect can be a good experience.

If your DC doesn't enjoy the subject area then she is going to find it a slog and if she is academic rather than practical then there are probably options that she will find 'easier'.

To answer your specific question ;) the consensus from various previous threads seems to be that Art is the most time consuming of the 'practical' subjects so it's unlikely to be as much as that.
Potterfan

Re: Is Food Preparation and Nutrition, time consuming like

Post by Potterfan »

Thanks KB for responding to my query.