How many GCSEs at HBS?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: How many GCSEs at HBS?

Post by Tinkers »

All girls at Kendrick do triple science. A few years ago they had the choice, but they then decided that all girls were more than capable of doing triple so they were all going to.

My sister is a chemistry teacher and doesn't see double award as any sort of barrier to doing A level; indeed she says some of her double award students outperform those that did triple. That been said if a student leans towards the sciences anyway it makes sense to do triple.
However how this will pan out with the new GCSEs/A levels is anyone's guess.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:All girls at Kendrick do triple science. A few years ago they had the choice, but they then decided that all girls were more than capable of doing triple so they were all going to.

My sister is a chemistry teacher and doesn't see double award as any sort of barrier to doing A level; indeed she says some of her double award students outperform those that did triple. That been said if a student leans towards the sciences anyway it makes sense to do triple.
However how this will pan out with the new GCSEs/A levels is anyone's guess.
Might it depend to some extent why your sister's 'double' students took that rather than triple? That is, because they wanted to do a particular set of non-science options which wouldn't have fitted in otherwise, rather than they weren't considered to be bright enough?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Probably because they wanted a range of subjects, but it wasn't a selective school either.
Anyone who is likely to struggle with triple science isn't going to looking at doing science A levels.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

How many GCSEs at HBS?

Probably two too many!

Discuss.
russet

Post by russet »

I just find it disappointing that even today a disproportionate amount of girls still do not see STEM subjects as being for them. To have decided by 13 to rule out science as a career option is far too young. If your dd has not ruled it out she should do the triple.
But to complain that the option of doing less science is not open to your dd seems ridiculous. If she has been able to get into a selective school she should be able to do science to this level and she will presumably be going into a career where being well informed across a range of subjects will be an advantage. Did you not look at what her GCSE options would be when you chose the school?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would expect every parent at QE would love their son to be allowed to do Triple Science but only 60 out of the 180 get the opportunity to do so.

32.5% of DAO is selective but 85% of students do Triple Science. I have dds doing Triple Science two years in a row and it was never discussed, just assumed.

I am very surprised to hear that there is any parent at HBS who does not want their dd to do Triple Science. I have never heard of a parent at a selective school who wishes to withdraw their dc from Triple Science, only those who are desperate to have their dc do it so no doors are closed.

Choosing to go to a Super Selective involves academic rigour and there should be no reason to expect that a less demanding option will be available. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you, very helpful advice and info.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

russet wrote:I just find it disappointing that even today a disproportionate amount of girls still do not see STEM subjects as being for them
Why? Why are Arts subjects deemed as less worthy?
russet

Post by russet »

It is more the case that at any subject at university you would expect about the same number of male and female students. Yet in many stem subjects the amount of women are far fewer.

I have no objection to anyone preferring to do art, but from somewhere girls are still getting the message that science is for boys. Even worse I suspect society, as a whole, has the quiet assumption that girls are more arty and boys are more science orientated.

Just to take one example, how many people would think a construction toy (eg a Lego car or K'nex robot) was a suitable birthday party present for a girl if they were not really familiar with what she liked as opposed to the number who would think it suitable for a boy?
russet

Post by russet »

Having quite strong views on this subject, I realise I may have expressed them too strongly in my earlier post and so apologise for that.

However, your daughter must be reasonably clever to get into HBS, so please do encourage her science. Even in a career in the arts, a knowledge of science may come in useful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now