How many GCSEs at HBS?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Re: How many GCSEs at HBS?

Post by silverysea »

Catseye wrote:"I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes.”
― Edna St. Vincent Millay
:D

Dd2 is probably taking Drama, Geography, and French as options. That adds up to 9 already with the 2 English, 1 Maths and 3 Science. I like the idea of DT for her. I'm not thrilled at her doing 11 though- I want her to have time for a bit of life choices outside of formal examined school work.
KB

Post by KB »

It's s shame that they can't carry on with some subjects in year 10 & 11 without them being examined. Even if they could have an hour a week to spend on art or music etc either by choice or rotation.
Amber

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:It's s shame that they can't carry on with some subjects in year 10 & 11 without them being examined. Even if they could have an hour a week to spend on art or music etc either by choice or rotation.
It is a shame anything at all is examined when they are 16 imho.
piggys

Post by piggys »

My dd is about to enter Year 10 at HBS and we are very sad that she has had to forego one of her MFL loves in order to do triple science. I wish she at least had the option of doing the dual instead. She'd have opted for it like a shot. We may well be pursuing a further MFL as an external candidate.
If she had her way she'd be taking French, German AND Spanish as well as Latin :lol: Madre de Dios !!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We are still pondering and dd1 suggested PE as a possible good option for dd2- but now I look at the Hbs website it looks like that's not on offer for GCSE.

So it's either a second MFL or Latin, a second humanity, or DT which is resistant materials, or further maths, or Art or Music. She's not keen on music though I think it could be a good option in her case. I'd like to see her to do something with her hands for a bit of balance. Maybe there are others I forgot? ICT?

Any loves/hates/other takes?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Dance?

It is an option at Tiffin boys; not sure about Tiffin girls.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Catseye wrote:
russet wrote:Quite a few schools now are doing 3 years KS4 with the new, more difficult GCSEs. She did not have to drop them, but there were other GCSEs she wanted to do more.
Why?

Top flight universities only consider the top 8 diverse and relevant gcse's.

8 A* or 8's will put them on target for Oxbridge.

Allow young minds to explore their potential and interests, one year can make all the difference but I think after year 9 a child would a fair idea where one's aptitudes lie.
We had a 'welcome to year 10' evening at Kendrick last night and it was interesting to hear them say that, as a result of the new and possibly harder GCSEs, they would be considering whether each girl should continue with the standard 11 or whether dropping to 10 would be the right choice for the individual. Lots of talk about it not being seen as 'weak' to consider this so they are clearly concerned about the impact of the new exams - given that everyone has been doing 12 until recently when the twin maths GCSE pilot ended.