GCSE results August 2016

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgcmum

Re: GCSE results August 2016

Post by sgcmum »

Very happy with dd's results.relieved to have got the required grades for A level.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Congratulations to dc who got the results they wanted.

Ds2 pleased in the subjects that he intends to continue for Alevel and dd1 is surprised she did better in subjects not selected for A level . Possibly, may change hers.
Both dc do feel that some subjects were harshly marked...

Just relieved for them as it wasn't easy studying with a toddler and infant around.
KB

Post by KB »

Very experienced member of staff at DCs school always counselled against altering options purely as a result of GCSE results . Think about why the subjects were originally chosen or not and what if anything has changed.
If there were subjects DD wanted to do but was stopped/ advised against because of predictions or wasn't feeling confident in then that may be a good reason.
However, a slightly disappointing grade in one paper at GCSE shouldn't put students off studying a subject they enjoy and/or have ability in.

Well done to everyone who is happy with their results this morning.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Having spent six weeks convincing me that a Level 3 vocational diploma is the best option for him, DS1 has now done a 180 and decided to do A-levels in 3 facilitating subjects.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Does anyone know if a person over 18 studying at a college can apply for scholarship? I know that universities give scholarships to very bright students; does this happen in colleges for students who have to pay ( i.e. reduction of the fees to pay)?
KB

Post by KB »

Are you talking about a state funded 6th form college?
If it's not for this term then another option could be a scholarship and bursary to the 6th form of a fee paying school?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

a state funded 6th form college. So scholarship does no exist in them for those over 18? I have never heard about that, but I thought I would lose nothing asking. There are so many things existing that many parents have no idea about!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There are no fees in a state funded 6th form so no real need for scholarships. There might be some funding through this route :

https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Fabulous results here! Including above wildest dreams in a couple of subjects! Very proud Mum!! :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

hermanmunster wrote:There are no fees in a state funded 6th form so no real need for scholarships. There might be some funding through this route :
https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are fees to be paid for those over a certain age as it is no more funded by the government; but thank you for the link as it has lead me to other webpages. :D
Thank you also to you, KB! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now