Advice please, AQA English results

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Booklady

Advice please, AQA English results

Post by Booklady »

I'm sure someone can offer advice. First time through GCSEs here and don't really know what we are looking for!

DD got great results, but included in those was A for each of English Language and English Literature, AQA. That's a great mark, but she's very good at those and wants to see if she should ask for a remark if she was only a mark or two off. Trouble is I don't know how to tell!

On the paper we got it says

English Language, AQA 4707, A, marks equivalent 252, points 52

English Literature, AQA 9717, A, marks equivalent 172, points 52

We also have 3 assessment marks for English Language :
ENG02 spk &Ali's 5; ENG1H 137 b; ENGL03 115a*

And 3 also for English Lit:
9715H unit 1H 64 a; 97152H unit 2H 58a; 97153 unit 3 50a*

Can anyone knowledgeable advise about these specifically. How close was she to an A* and is it worth taking it further?

Thanks in advance! What a day!!
Tolstoy

Re: Advice please, AQA English results

Post by Tolstoy »

Congratulations to your DD Booklady.
If you go onto AQA website they have a breakdown of the marks and grade bounderies. Suspect you may have already done that now :)
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Hi booklady,

For the Lit. 180 ums is an A* your dd is only 8 off. Just add the ums for the 3 units. Mine missed A* in this by 3 marks due to an unusually low score in 97151H. In terms of raw marks 53/68;39/54 for 97151H and 97152H respectively is A*. For 97153 it's 35/40 for an A*
For language 55/80 raw marks in eng1h is A* 72/80 for ENL03
Here's the link to the raw marks required for aqa
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_p ... E-2016.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a grade converter of raw to ums at the aqa website.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administrat ... -converter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can use this to see where your dd is placed.

Sorry can't advise on whether to apply for a re mark. We have almost decided not to. Hope I've not confused you further
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

I've figured it out!! I was looking at the wrong AQA numbers. :roll: :roll:

So for English Language when you add the papers together an A* was 270 and she got a total of 252 (1 paper let her down and pulled the overall grade down), and for literature 180 was the score for an A* and she got 172 (got full marks in one paper though!! :shock: :shock: ).

We will ask school - but I think we might be wise not to rock the boat given others experiences!! :lol: :lol:

Edited to add - cross posted with sgcmum - thanks for the info - I get it now!!
KB

Post by KB »

For the paper that was much lower than expected the school will know if it was across the board for all the pupils or just in your DCs case.
Was she predicted to get A*?

If it were me then I would also look how far she is up from a B and therefore how many marks she could afford to 'loose'.

Hopefully the school will get back to you soon.
It's always worth thinking through if marks aren't as expected but it's also good practice for the future to be able to move on from what are for her slightly disappointing ( but still excellent!) results and look forward to the next stage. I hope this issue hasn't stopped your DD from enjoying her success and she's still celebrating :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Our DS spotted his duff. Literature paper as being the poetry one. Not persuing the remark :roll: Not sure if that helps either?