3 or 5 marks off the next mark - worth appeal?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

Re: 3 or 5 marks off the next mark - worth appeal?

Post by Catseye »

2Girlsmum wrote:Our head is lodging an appeal as about a dozen girls were given a B in their English Language paper. He has stated that this regularly happens with a new teacher who is inexperienced, and feel unsure that all the papers are of a high quality (as they usually are in a Grammar School), so mark them all down. DD was given a B in her paper, though usually has A/A*'s, and it dropped her to an overall A. If enough families have the same issue then the head can complain and the remark will be free.
Eh?

As Spock would say “In critical moments, men sometimes see exactly what they wish to see.” - Star Trek, season 3, episode 9 (“The Tholian Web,” 1968).

I would still get a remark-it wasn't CIE board by any chance?

They use oversea markers! my DS Eng Lang went up 13 ums last year, grade changed from B to A*
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

That's interesting. It's my first child through GCSE exams, and I'm only going with what I was told. The girls had different teachers, so it wasn't that they were generously marked at school. DD had mostly A* with some A's so we aren't too worried, just surprised at the B in part of her English Language exam.We will go ahead with the re-mark as it's free and we have nothing to lose because her A grade is safe based on points!

Catseye - love the nerdy reference! It made me think of Sheldon Cooper:)
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

2Girlsmum wrote: It made me think of Sheldon Cooper:
That reference has been made many times before of me,unfortunately, I'm not that clever.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Guest55 wrote:I did not think you could do that for GCSE.

It says:

"Can I see my marked question paper before requesting a review of marking?

No. We've agreed with the other awarding organisations that we won't offer this service for your qualification.

This is to ensure that all students are offered the same services, regardless of which awarding organisation they completed their qualification with.

If you request a copy of your exam paper, it will be sent to your school or college after the review of marking deadline. If you think you might want to get the marking of your exam paper reviewed, you should discuss this with your teacher as they are in the best position to advise you. "

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/s ... markedwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think it depends on the exam board this year- we have requested one WJEC gcse paper (photocopy) as one module was several grades below the others and DD felt it had gone well.

Our exams officer said that AQA don't do it but WJEC (and Edexcel I thought) do.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Curiously is it worth getting Controlled assessments remarked? and as an aside is that a futile question as has the date for remarks already passed?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Only the school can request the re-marking of coursework - no the date has not passed. I would ask the Head of department if the cohort were downgraded.
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

I would still get a remark-it wasn't CIE board by any chance?

They use oversea markers! my DS Eng Lang went up 13 ums last year, grade changed from B to A*
That's interesting - my DS's CIE English language paper seems rather odd - somewhere around a B/C border for it but 100% in the coursework component. And very high marks in all other essay-based subjects. He also felt the exam went very well and much better than English Lit for which he got an A*, so I am puzzled as to why it would be so low. I think I will contact the teacher to get her opinion. I'm just nervous that a remark could go the other way and he is happy enough with his overall marks.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks G55, it appears that a few of DS mates are getting remarks done on the unexpected results so he's going in today to talk to someone about his CA marks. Also wants to find out his marks for Maths to see how close he was to the boundry, although he is happy with the grade.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now