Ebacc?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catseye

Re: Ebacc?

Post by Catseye »

What is technology as a subject ?
Do mean DT-ICT? It's an art subject, is it not?
It is not a science,humanity or Language subject.

I have already said an art subject should be included -I don't have the time or inclination to list all the creative subjects-they are useful and respected but not if all your choices are 'soft' options.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Technology is graphics, food, resistant materials, textiles or product design - some of the subjects that engineers need knowledge of. It is not a soft option ...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

You are just spoiling for fight-I refuse to engage.

We will let the good forum members make up their minds.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

DD1 is doing GCSE's next summer and will get the Ebacc because at her school they have to do a MFL and she chose history because she loves it. The Ebacc was not a consideration though when she chose her options and many of her friends will not get it. The school apparently never mentioned it, and she only found out about it a couple of months ago when I brought the subject up.
I think it is much more important to study subjects you are interested in.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No I'm not - I think technology is key to the future of this country. We need inventors who understand the properties of materials and good design.

Just as important as humanities and MFL.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

booellesmum wrote:DD1 is doing GCSE's next summer and will get the Ebacc .
There is no award of an 'ebacc' and no certificate stating you have this.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Yes, I do know that. Was just trying to help. Should have worded it as count towards the statistics.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eate-ebacc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.baccforthefuture.com/press-c ... l-subjects" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still not sure what options my DD1 will pick but I will tell her to keep her mind open. She is definitely going to do art but everything else is undecided. The school will decide some things for her as you need to get picked to do certain things like triple science. If she does, then she only gets to pick three extra options and that is where the dilemma comes in. If she does do triple science then she will pick Art, French and either geography or business studies. She likes geography but has no experience of business studies. She's heard about it at school and likes the idea of it. It is something they don't do before KS4 in her school.

Thanks,

Blue_Marigold
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2's school seems to do its GCSE options in two stages, a change from when DS1 was there. On this basis, he has been allowed to do both Art and Graphics this year (year 9), on the understanding that he will drop the latter for year 10. If is also doing a combined Economics / Business Studies option this year; it is a sort of taster for those thinking that they might like to carry on with one or the other to GCSE. I don't think many schools offer Business Studies in 'KS3 proper', i.e. before any kind of selection of options.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now