IGCSE advantage?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fm

Post by fm »

Tipsy, I think you have missed the point. It won't matter if your child doesn't gain GCSE's because he will go on to do A level, then a degree.

I was referring to children like my son whose last academic qualification may be GCSE's.

While you may think GCSE's are a waste of time, I know many children who are very proud of their GCSE's, being hard won in much more difficult circumstances than confront your sons.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I think it is inevitable now that a two-tier system will develop. No single system can cater for the needs of children with IQs ranging from below 90 to 170+. The old CSE/O level system worked pretty well, but even CSE was in many cases more challenging than some GCSE papers I have seen. When we have a situation where highly intelligent, well educated children agonise over questions that they can't believe are really asking what they appear to be asking, then it is time for egalitariansim to stop and common sense to take over. Questions which appeared on CSE papers in the 1960s and 1970s now cropping up on A level papers, so it is no wonder that university tutors are in despair over some of the students they are getting.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please give an example of a CSE question that has appeared on an A level paper - and also show that the depth of response required was similar.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

fm wrote: I know many children who are very proud of their GCSE's, being hard won in much more difficult circumstances than confront your sons.
Quite agree, fm. I know the children I work with are very proud that they have managed a pass at GCSE, and as you say it is probably where their education (academic) will stop. They see it as a passport to going onto do what really interests them, usually in the area of vocational studies.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Why aren't any grammar schools using IGCSE's? Or are they?
Loopy
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

They are not allowed to, its not covered by the national curriculum.
They were oiriginally intended for overseas students wishing to take English qualifications, who would not be able to submit cousework.
Here is (hopefully) a link to the BBC website discussing them today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7941997.stm

Rgds,
LFH
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Thanks LFH, that's very interesting.

I think it's a great pity that the National Curriculum is so limiting. Surely the question of whether IGCSEs are better for bright pupils or not would best be decided by giving grammar schools the choice and seeing which way they vote. Then we'd soon find out whether Dr Dunford or Dr Stephens is to be believed.
Loopy
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

BBC wrote:Can pupils in state schools sit the IGCSE?

State school pupils do not sit the IGCSE currently because although they have been approved by Ofqual, the government has not approved them for state school funding.

Ofqual monitors qualifications in England on behalf of the government, working closely with its equivalents elsewhere in the UK.

It can approve qualifications, but it is up to England's Department for Children, Schools and Families to decide which it will fund state schools to offer.

State schools must adhere to the national curriculum, and given that the QCA raised concerns about the IGCSE in that respect, it seems unlikely the DCSF will change its stance.

The DCSF keeps a list of all qualifications it does fund, called the Section 96 List, and the IGCSE is not on it.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Should we not therefore just go back to the good old days where there is no coursework. :lol:
Life would be so much better for some of us anyway (Like me, then I wouldn't be getting phonecalls saying this is late and that is late - as if my teenagers listen to me :!: )
LFH
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

fm - what on earth is happening... an independent school IGCSE maths tutee of your having you as a tutor in Maths - the parents must be loaded or the poor child not up to it
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now