A level psychology

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Solimum I agree with your thoughts on essay writing having done 3 essay subjects myself at A level (all those years ago) the english though is language not literature not sure if that will be all essays ? they didn't do Alevel english lang in my day ! any ideas what it entails ?
zee

Re: A level psychology

Post by zee »

Pensby wrote:My DD is in year 11 and starting to think about A levels, she is pretty sure about chemistry and geography and probably english language but has to choose a 4th. ...

She wants to go to uni possibly to do chem or geog.by
To ask a question you didn't ask, would a chem degree be a viable option without any other science and/or maths at A level (I know you said she doesn't want to do maths)? Even if she got in, mightn't she be at a big disadvantage and hence struggle?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There was certainly quite an element of maths when I did my degree, which was 2/3 chemistry.

I didn't go in with A levels, but via ONC and 11 years of lab work.

I had to get my maths to A level standard before I started,
(although they never actually tested me)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My advice would be that she should choose a subject that she is interested in. I don't think she should worry too much, with Chemistry, Geography and English on her plate then the fourth should be one she really wants to do. I don't know about Chemistry at Uni, but certainly Geography - most good Unis will want an A in that subject but propably wont be too bothered what the others are as long as they are not specifically excluded eg General Studies or on a soft subjetc list somewhere. In fact I think they just don't want repeats eg PE and Biology...they usually say PE OR Biology for eg Physiotherapy etc (I digress :oops: ).
Also I think Psychology is a great option certainly thinking ahead to a career in say business etc ....she will pick up valuable skills which may help her in the workplace in the future in whatever she finally chooses to do.

I think if she doesn't want to do Maths, there's no real point in pressing her in this direction, because she might do not so well and end up with resits etc which may affect her in her other subjects.

LFH
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi thanks for the replys I don't think DD will end up doing chem at uni if it involves having to do another science or maths -she seems keener on geog which seems to fit well with chem and psychology

I agree with doing someting you will enjoy and I think psychology looks interesting -she has mentioned teaching occasionaly and I think it would be useful for that.

I think she may drop one of her subjects after year 12 ( not sure how it works!) so if she hates psychology then she can drop it and still have 3 good choices.

thanks again for the advice Pensby
solimum

Post by solimum »

This might be interesting:

Geography degrees seem to be either BA or BSc - this quote from Cambridge summarizes quite nicely:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergr ... ments.html

Many aspects of geography do involve mathematical-type skills - there is a lot going on with Geographical Information systems (computerised mapping of numerous bits of statistical information etc) as well as all the environmental issues

Chemistry definitely benefits from maths - see this quote from "The Student Room"

Fortunately, there are a range of academic requirements offering from AAA (Oxford and Imperial) to BCC (Birmingham etc.). Chemistry is a demanding yet rewarding career choice, but in recent years, several universities have chosen to close their chemistry departments because of the high cost of running such programs.

You will obviously need chemistry at A-level, and many leading universities prefer (and sometimes require) maths at A-level due to the large mathematical content of the course, additionally a further science subject is useful (particularly physics). Many Chemistry students are shocked by the level of Maths and Physics in a basic Chemistry degree, thus it is beneficial to take at least AS Level Maths, or to reach a similar standard by the time you start in September.

I suggest a little research via the UCAS website, just to ensure that no options are being closed off too soon.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now