Moving area

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fatandfifty

Moving area

Post by Fatandfifty »

We are having to move next August after my DD AS levels I would like to know if going from a Grammar 6th Form (250 pupils in Yr 12) to a College of FE with approximately 4,000 students will the change over be fairly smooth as in transferring her AS grades to possibly another syllabus for her A levels? I am fretting a bit about this but we have no choice but Education Dept assures me that the AS/ A level cirriculum will not be a problem. Assurance would be apprecitated from anyone in the know.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I also would imagine it would be fine, and probably a great thing to have this broader experience in the Upper Sixth before moving on. Also, it might open up some new subject areas to your daughter not available at her grammar. She might choose to do some additional AS in the upper sixth in something else she had never considered.

For peace of mind, I would e-mail the institution concerned with the syllabus references for the AS she is currently doing, and ask which A2 boards and syllabuses they will be using, and if there are any potential mismatches.

It sounds as though by the time she finishes her A2s she will have had the best of every world.

Good luck
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I agree the curriculum will not be a problem. Depending on the FE college it will probably be a lot more informal and value self learning.
KB

Post by KB »

Bit confused - have you checked that it is possible to transfer marks from AS modules to A2 with another board? Not quite sure how it would work unless the UMS are seen as 'universal'.
Not suggesting it isn't - have no knowledge at all! just interested :)
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Thanks for all your help and the positive slant on the self-learning in which will be a very different learning environment.

KB - I'm mystified, what is UMS?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Universal marking scheme. Don't fully understand it but there seems to be some standardisation of results-so that you may end up getting full marks for a paper or section of despite getting some wrong.

I suspect somebody else who actually understands it will come along......
KB

Post by KB »

Each year you have the grade boundaries are the same UMS so I think they adjust raw marks according to how hard a paper is - so in theory if there is a hard paper one year it doesn't mean that less people get an A grade for example.
I'm not exactly sure about the details of UMS, but my question was about how one can take an AS in a subject with one board & switch to another board for A2, because the grade at A2 is based on the results of A2 & AS modules. So if you didn't take your AS modules with the same board how could you get a grade for A2?
The only way I can see this could work would be if the board you take the A2 modules with can transfer the AS module marks from the first board. The only way I could see this could be possible if the UMS marks are considered to be universal across all exam boards.
Have no idea of he answer though :lol:
solimum

Post by solimum »

This looks helpful - there is a procedure to follow for what must after all be a relatively common occurrence

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_ ... of_AS_Year
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Thank you sooo much for all your help. The link was most informative. The only downside that I can see is that straight after DD does her AS levels she will be embarking on her A levels but on her current school's syllabus as opposed to the College of FE's different A level boards, thereby leaving her in no man's land. I might email the College and see if they can send out the relevant A level stuff so that she can play catch up in the six weeks holidays although we shall be in the midst of packing up and saying goodbye to long term friends .... hey ho.
KB

Post by KB »

Does she need to go back to school afer AS exams or could she start on the A2 work at home? The September term has seemed pretty hectic so it might be good not to start from behind?
Would def. advise making start with University application process (if that is the route she is planning on) at least & doing any visit days possible rather than leave them till the Autumn term.
Is there anyone she could stay with Mon-Fri in the new area at all to start College in June?
Hope it all goes well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now