A level Exam Grades

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sassie'sDad

A level Exam Grades

Post by Sassie'sDad »

More than half of all A level exams at private schools are graded A.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 064604.ece
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

And so..... given vast economic and social advantage, private school children do well.And your point is....sorry I am not sure :?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

The key facts for me are in the paragraph:

The Cambridge figures also showed that more than one in eight A-level candidates now achieve three A grades. Yet of this group, more than a quarter went to grammar schools — which teach fewer than one in ten of the school population. At the same time, more than a third of students achieving straight A grades were from independent schools, which educate just 13 per cent.

One has to ask, if this is what a government that came to office with the slogan Education, Education, Education, has done for the majority of the school population could another do any worse!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I am also struggling to understand your point Sassie's Dad ....of course the largest proportion of As should come from GS and Indies, otherwise there would be no point :roll:
LandermereMum

Post by LandermereMum »

Sassie's Dad, I think I understand. Our current governemnt leads us to believe they are focused on education (they try to make life difficult for independant schools and will not introduce new grammar schools) yet the comprehensive school system is not managing to produce large numbers of A grades.

I think any government would do well to start reintroducing more grammar schools.
LandermereMum

Post by LandermereMum »

sorry, typing error - did mean independent
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Frankly if everyone got vast numbers of A grades what would be the point? There has to be some meaningful test of academic attainment at some point.

I would expect selective schools to get better rates of A levels, there are afte all selecting the more academic part of the population.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh herman, was just about to say that. I think the approach to education should not be to introduce more grammars, it is quite apparent that most parents of capable children who want the best for them in terms of education are entirely able to source that education, whether it is from sending them to Grammars, educating privately, or supplementing at home should it be considered necessary. The most important thing for any government who wants to appeal to the voting public is to ensure that all children are given the best education possible, I don't think ensuring a minority of parents is happy is going to be that much of a vote catcher in the forthcoming election.
another mother

Post by another mother »

For those of you who read this, did you also notice this, from Chris Woodhead's Times column...

'My daughter has been offered a sixth form place at several top private schools. Her GCSE mock results suggest she should do exceptionally well at both GCSE and A-level. I am worried, however, that top universities may discriminate against her on the basis that she went to a private school. Would she be better off staying at her “bog-standard comprehensiveâ€
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

6-7 years ago I can remember parents considering Indie for the first 5 years at senior school and then moving them for the sixth form to state school.

personally I appreciate that some kids HAVE to move for the sixth form as their school stops at year 11 but as they have to "hit the ground running" doing AS levels, it is perhaps dificult for some if there are just a few kids settling into a school...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now