A level Government and Politics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Mike thhanks for the simple suggestion ! I have sent a mail asking them for advice
Pensby
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think it will very much depend if your DD wants the ivy league universities. It seems most of these will view politics and english as soft subjects. Reading one of the documents posted by Mitasol, most university arent in the open about what subjects they consider soft. I will not be suprised if you email them and they tell you the subjects are OK yet in reality they arent really taking students who have done these subjects. Is there any chance she could change her subjects choices now if she is aiming for some of these ivy universities?

If she cant change then you may need to dig deep and find universities that take these subjects. You can also go on thestudentrooms in the appropriate section and find out more on universities which are a bit more lenient on subject choices. You can even check on the Durham section to see if these choices will be adequate for law.

The scary thing is most teachers havent got a clue about this and I am not suprised that some are giving wrong advice. Who can blame them, there is so much to keep up with university admissions.
Impossible is Nothing.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi
Yes Durham were less than helpful - a stock reply !
DD has decided to change from Psychology to History giving her 2 English,History and Government and Politics - English and History seem to be widely accepted so English Langauge or Politics as 3rd choice .
Hopefully she will come out with A's and A*'s in the Gsce's she sitting which will help her futher
Thanks for the replys
Pensby :D
Y

Post by Y »

For others in the same boat - you may be better off phoning the admissions department, and speaking to someone. Whilst they will give the 'company line' by email, they may be a little less guarded by telephone. Certainly, one university I contacted gave me more guidance by phone than by email. Also, you have more chance of a real conversation, to get the bottom of the matter.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now