University and lentgh of time taken for A levels

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Thank your herman :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

East lancs mumof4 wrote: Forgive me for having a senior moment but what are 2AEAs?
advanced extension awards??, they were more research based exams, before A* at A level was introduced
catcool

university and length of time taken for a levels

Post by catcool »

an absolute passion for her chosen subject (history) she is now at UCL (600 interviewees for 60 places) and was offered 2 Es at A level for Royal Holloway.

Forgive me for asking yoyo my daughter is trying to decide whether to do English or History or both at Uni. What sort of outside activities did she undertake to demonstrate her "passion for history"

It is so difficult to gauge what else they have to do
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

I would re-check the details with the school as it does seem strange that they should potentially hinder the chances of the better students by putting them on an 'accelerated scheme'.

It does sound like with careful choice of subjects at different levels you might be able to use the system to DC advantage. It does seem complicated though - especially for those who don't know what they want to do at Uni when they are in Year 10!
For Maths it could be beneficial because there are so many levels of maths exams to take!

Experience of Oxbridge is that offers are based on A levels taken in the same year (having said that, Maths at Oxbridge is incredibly competitive & STEP is also demanded so you might be able to use the school's system to your advantage there).

Once you have clarified with ther school exactly how the system can work, I would contact departmental admissions officers at a few appropriate Unis & get a direct response from them.

If this is relatively new & uncommon it may be that thge Unis dont have a policy yet so a 'straw pole' of the reaction of a number of admissions people might be the best indication.

I really would contact the school & try to meet with a senior member of staff -who you think is likely to be interested in talking to you! I agree that schools can be poor at explaining what is gong on so pupils can miss out on making the best of the 'system' - often those with the parents who havethe best lines of communication with the school are at a big advantage! Presumably you aren't the only parent to have similar concerns so either the school will already have some answers or you will be doing everyone else a favour by raising the issue!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Belinda wrote:Hi tiredmum,

Forcing them to choose subjects to take to A2 in Y11 is wrong! Students should be allowed to drop them after AS and start again with 3/4 subjects in Y12. Perhaps this is in fact the case? Schools don't always make these things clear.
Hi belinda,
thanks for your reply. Its really got me thinking. I may pm you when i get a moment if thats ok?

When i went to school we took Alevels. I am still getting my head round the current system! I can understand what you are saying about starting new As's in year 12 to carry through to A2's - but equally can not see the point in taking an AS an then just droping it? Is there any benefit to this? Do they all count as points for the uni application?

Many thanks for your time :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

KB wrote:I would re-check the details with the school as it does seem strange that they should potentially hinder the chances of the better students by putting them on an 'accelerated scheme'.

Experience of Oxbridge is that offers are based on A levels taken in the same year

I would contact departmental admissions officers at a few appropriate Unis & get a direct response from them.

I really would contact the school & try to meet with a senior member of staff -who you think is likely to be interested in talking to you! !
Thank you KB for you comprehensive reply. My daughter is in the top 25 of her grammar year group and it is only the top 50 who are offered this chance to take two As's in year 11 - so i agree with you that it appears odd to hinder the future chances of their better students. I will certainly speak to the school and perhaps a few of the mums who have dc's in the same postition as mine.

I am also going to contact some uni's. My dd is not thinking of oxbridge but my feelings are that if the very best uni's want 3 or more A levels from same year then this rule will probably filter through to the other good uni's.

Many thanks and i wil update the post wihen i have spoken to the uni's admissions :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

thanks belinda, do you know if an AS is worth more uni points than a gcse? :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - there is a table somewhere ... I'll hunt. .. now I remember GCSEs don't have UCAS points but AS do..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now