Giving up an AS Level subject

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Giving up an AS Level subject

Post by Looking for help »

My daughter is in year 12 and has taken Business Studies as one of her A Level options She has now decided she doesn't want to take it on any further, it doesn't seem to me to be a problem as she has her other options, it was a bit of a confusion at the start of the year when she couldn't decide which subjects to take. However on informing her tutor today, she was told she was potentially too late just to drop it and it might look bad.

I am not a great fan of this teacher as she has dealt out very bad advice in the past, and am wondering what she can mean here. If my daughter has been entered for a module in January is there any reason why it would be bad to drop it now in terms of university applications next year? Would the universities see that she had dropped it ? I would be very surprised if this was the case, but want to be sure whether she is making a mistake dropping it now, instead of carrying on with it and getting at least an AS level in it. All her other options are essay based and heavy in the workload, so we feel it is better to free her time up to allow her to do well in these other subjects.

You'd think having been through this process twice already I'd know, but none of my others gave up an AS subject at this stage.

Any advice will be very welcome, thank you :D
sherry_d

Re: Giving up an AS Level subject

Post by sherry_d »

One school we looked at specifically says they expect most of their pupils to take 4 subjects at AS level and continue with 3 to A level and it doesnt seem to do them any harm.
Impossible is Nothing.
Looking for help

Thanks Sherry - you are confirming my own thoughts, I'm just wondering why the teacher may think it is a bad thing.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote:Thanks Sherry - you are confirming my own thoughts, I'm just wondering why the teacher may think it is a bad thing.
Maybe the school has already paid for the January module exam? :wink:
Marylou
daughter

Post by daughter »

Hi, if she is in year 12 are you actually talking about only doing 3 AS levels? In which case this may be not a great idea as Sherry said it is normal to do 4 AS levels only dropping to 3 subjects for A2. Sorry if i may have misunderstood the situation.
Looking for help

She still has 3 good options plus a fourth softer one so she'll be fine, as I said she was unsure about which options to take at the start of the year. Quite a lot only take 3 and give none up in Y13, so I'm not overly concerned about the subjects being taken.

Marylou, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, I was just worried that in these ridiculous times of needing all A*s at GCSEs plus no resits in modules to secure a uni place, the teacher may know something I don't :shock: although with the fee increases taking effect that year actually there will probably be loads of places :wink:
KB

Post by KB »

LFH
I'm a bit confused - are you saying that after giving up Business Studies she will still have 4AS subjects?
In which case I agree there shoudl be no problem - and no way the Universities would know.
I dont think the Jan module entries would have gone in yet but if that is all that is owrrying the school it might be worth offering to pay - not that you should have to but to make things easier?

If DC is in fact going down to 3 AS & many from her school take 4 then it could be an issue. The most competitive Uni seem to know the normal number of subject taken at most schools and some make judgements based on that. Eg. locally - at the boys GS most take 4 academic A levels whereas at 6th form college they only take 3 so if there is an applicant from the GS that is only taking 3 they might wonder why.

Generally I would recommend taking less and doing really well than being stretched & risking poor grades.
Looking for help

Thanks KB...she is still doing 4 AS after dropping business, I think the school is worrying about the cost, and also being judged on the numbers dropping after being entered for January modules only. My initial worry was that the uni applications might see what has happened and judge her, but have been reassured this is not the case at this early stage.
I was just stressing because the teacher in question has caused incredible confusion regarding university applications to our family in the past and has been wrong. My daughter was given till half term to decide which 4 to carry on with and decided Monday after half term, and was told it was too late. I think the teacher was wrong and she has gone in with a letter today saying I want her to give it up....I think that means the school can say the parents have decided rather than the school, maybe that makes them feel better or something, although we would really prefer better guidance from the school, but I have discovered schools really struggle with meaningful careers/ further education advice, we seem to be all alone working it out
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi Looking for help,
To answer your question, it all depends on what subject she is left with after dropping business studies and what university course she is intending to take, some universities prefer certain combinations including your soft subject choices.

stressedparent
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now