AS re-marks

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroud Mum

AS re-marks

Post by Stroud Mum »

Despite loads of work and a confident prediction of 4 A's DS has got a lot lower. We have asked for a re-mark in French, History and English. Some of the marking seems frankly odd - eg a high A in one French paper and an E in the other (which DS thought went well and he is a good judge). Quite a few other students seem to have had similar marks for French and I hear that there were possible difficulties with the history paper also.. Any advice out there about re-marks? For example by how much can a grade go up ? (or down, but I don't want to think about that!). Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: AS re-marks

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Stroud Mum - it is possible to get photocopies of the exam papers from the board (via your exam officer). I think that the request has to be made by the end of this week and the cost is about £12 a paper.

Probably better to do this and go through the paper with one of the teachers before deciding if a remark would help - these are expensive (!) and the answer to what happened may become clear with sight of paper
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Thanks - yes, I have asked for photocopies. Hope the re-marks come back soon and put us out of our misery! He is gutted - all A's and A stars this time last year and he worked non stop in year 12. Ah well.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

My DH is an examiner for IB and has had lots of papers to remark, none of which have changed.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My DS sat two History papers and scored and A in one (essay questions on Russia) and a D in the other (source questions) resulting in an overall C. He was predicted an A. I thought if you requested photocopies you couldn't have the papers remarked. Have I got this wrong?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fran; If you request the photocopies then you can have the papers remarked (but there isn't a lot of time after receiving them before you have to apply for the remark). If you request the actual paper then it can't be remarked.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you Herman. I will get in touch with the school tomorrow.
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Yes, that's what I was told. You can request a photocopy of the paper and also a re-mark. I think the copies were quite cheap - ie about £10. He had similar a result as your DS for history; a high A in one paper and a D in another. I asked for both copies and a re-mark because a) he needs to look at a copy of his paper and go through it with a teacher and b) he needs re-marks back fairly quickly before he makes a decision about re-sits (which I think needs to happen by mid Sept at his school).