What to wear to Uni interviews

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stroud Mum

What to wear to Uni interviews

Post by Stroud Mum »

Any tips anybody? DS doesn't want to wear a suit - is smart trousers, shirt and tie ok or will he be odd one out? Thanks. PS the interview is for History.
hermanmunster

Re: What to wear to Uni interviews

Post by hermanmunster »

fair few discussions chez munster about this! We reckon that interviews for the "professions" -med / dentist / education tend to induce a fit of suit wearing whereas for the humanities ... well one has to be careful not to be more smartly dressed than the interviewer :lol: :lol: .

Having done some interviewing I think the teenage boys can look a little uncomfortable in a suit and look better in jacket and trousers - with shirt / tie
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

hermanmunster wrote:whereas for the humanities ... well one has to be careful not to be more smartly dressed than the interviewer :lol: :lol: .
:lol: :lol:
Marylou
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I made Miss yoyo wear smart clothes for her interview, I even wore a skirt to accompany her :shock: :shock:
most people were "smart casual" a few downright scruffy..but then it was humanities!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think smart is the answer without going OTT.

Amazing what difference a properly tied tie on an done up shirt, actually tucked into trousers of the right length can do...
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

Not to mention a touch of polish on the shoes Herman....... or would that be considered too extreme!! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Ah yes - better polish on the old and comfy shoes rather than uncomfy shiny new ones
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Good luck with the interview.
another mother

Post by another mother »

DD was told by the Oxford administrator who came to talk to them that clothes were completely irrelevant as all the interviewers would see was the 'Brain'! :o (or possibly Lack of :? )

But would agree about the shoe polish!
daughter

Post by daughter »

Agree with anothermother - doesn't matter to the interviewers but I think interviewees need to feel comfortable. By comfortable I don't mean just physically but that they need to feel appropriate, neither under or overdressed. There is usually quite a bit of "mingling" with other interviewees and they also need to feel relaxed in their clothes.
My DD was interviewed last year she feels most comfortable in barely there clothes! We found a very nice compromise a shortish tightish dress but the compromise was - no cleavage at all, a longish cardigan and mega dernier tights with boots with smallish heel. She said afterwards it was perfect - she blended in but felt comfortable that it was "her style".
Sorry just realised OP has a DS - so don't wear dress, tights and boots ... maybe useful info for any DD's being interviewed though.

Good luck to all.