confused and disappointed yet again.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Re: confused and disappointed yet again.

Post by Fran17 »

Hi tubby, I have nothing to add as you have been given such good advice. When things like this happen, they seem all consuming and of course they are because we do not want our children to be disappointed or upset. It seems to me you are a wonderful support to your DS and he will know that he is not alone with his worries at the moment and that will be a huge comfort to him. I am sure you will get things sorted out. Best wishes.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I picked up AS and A2 AQA results at 8am this morning and had my form in for four priority remarks and a photocopy of the papers by 8.15am. Perhaps you can only do it when you have done AS and A2 at the same time or perhaps I will be getting a refund on the two AS papers. But the form was given to me by the Examinations Officer and there was no mention on the form about any option being A2 only. Closing date for getting the form in for the priority remark was midday on the 22nd August. I was told I would get the papers back within the week as the priority service is designed for those who have lost their university place because of their results. There is also a much cheaper non priority service that can take about a month apparently. I applied for the remark and paper in January for AS and got three more marks and went up a grade. But more than the grade hike I found having the paper amazingly helpful. It is very sobering to see a whole page of writing without a single mark allocated. Really shows you where you have been wasting your time. It had an immediate impact. Was this facility available when I did O levels and A levels in the 1970's? I would have benefited so much from it. Tubby, it will really help your ds to see where his time was lost and help him with technique. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes priority remark is for modules where people have to get a result before the Uni place disappears on August 31st ... I think more expensive. If people don't need rapid remark to ensure uni place they are better letting those hanging on for the place get the priority remarks done and having the standard (and not really very slow one) done instead.

Getting the photocopy of the papers is very useful and something we never had.. would have been useful when people genuinely felt they had done better than the result indicated - remarks were rare and discouraged!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As Herman says priority re-marks are for Year 13 only who need it to meet a Univeristy offer. We are planning to get a paper looked at but as it doesn't affect DC meeting the offer we are using the standard service.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:As Herman says priority re-marks are for Year 13 only who need it to meet a Univeristy offer. We are planning to get a paper looked at but as it doesn't affect DC meeting the offer we are using the standard service.
Same here .. just being done for completeness sake, result will arrive after matriculation..
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Guest55 wrote:As Herman says priority re-marks are for Year 13 only who need it to meet a Univeristy offer. We are planning to get a paper looked at but as it doesn't affect DC meeting the offer we are using the standard service.
The same here too. It seems there are lots of requests for remarks this year.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

According to what we've read on TSR, a lot seems to be wrong with AQA results. I'm not sure if it's worth looking into, and it fortunately didn't affect my daughter, who only had one subject with them, fingers crossed that's ok :roll:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Same here Tubby - ds got C, D, E and U. He needs 3 Ds minimum to get back into year 13 so we have an appointment with school next week to discuss. His school doesn't allow AS resits during year 13 and he's refusing to entertain the idea of repeating year 12 (and I'm not sure if he is motivated enough to perform better second time round anyway).

I know how you feel!!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi Tubby & Bexley Mum 2

We were in the same position last year. A week will give you time to think things through and look at alternatives. My DD reluctantly repeated Y12, but changed 2 subjects, which I think was key. I won't pretend it has been easy - infact it has been very hard at times, but her results this week confirmed it was the right decision.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow, you have to apply to get back in Year 13, first time I have heard that. So how many boys do QE shed at the end of Year 12 then? DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now