How to help a disappointed DC?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting the best

How to help a disappointed DC?

Post by wanting the best »

We got 2A and 3B in AS. As DC is hoping to go into Medicine, this was devastating, so much so DC that hasn't slept since Thursday. I know DC worked hard and I don't l know what went wrong. Now how do I offer support and what next? School has advised not to apply this year. Is that good advice? Please help as completely overwhelmed.
Guest55

Re: How to help a disappointed DC?

Post by Guest55 »

What were the total UMS? If close to an A then go for it ... if just one weak module it can be resat - what will the school predict for an application?

Do some research as some look at BMAT and other factors.
Alex

Post by Alex »

My DD got AABC at AS level, managed to get offered for medicine and has now made her grades to go on the course.
You need to research and look carefully at the course requirements - the Student Room is full of information. What will be most important is that the school are still willing to predict 3 A grades for A2. Talk to them asap.

DD retook one of her AS papers along with the summer A2 papers in Chemistry which was important in gaining her A overall. She also redid one of her AS Maths papers to raise the overall level from a C to a B so as to have a bigger choice of institutions to apply to in case she made the 3 As but had not managed an offer for medicine this year and wanted to reapply next year - so it was not needed in the end but I think it helped her feel more confident.

All is by no means lost at this stage, so take heart.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The other piece of advice I would add is to try to find out what went wrong - you can get photocopies of your exam scripts to give you an idea. If the marks were very close to the grade boundary it might be worth getting a remark but seek school's advice on this. There are time limits and it all needs to be done through school.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wanting the best

Thank you all. The points in the subjects she got a B in are 120. Have sent off for photocopy of scripts. There is no one in school who I can go to talk to about predictions. They are all on holidays!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to check the UMS totals not the points. These are usually adjacent to the grades - there should also be a breakdown of each paper.
wanting the best

The school hasn't said don't apply, just don't apply this year. The GCSEs were 8 A* and 4 As. The marks are 237/300, 154/200 and 227/300. Haven't done the BMAT/UKCAT yet. DC had booked a place on the test but is so disheartens that I don't want to press the issue. The personal statement is almost ready to go.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The marks are 237/300, 154/200 and 227/300.
237/300 is 3 UMS away from a grade A - no need to resit just try to catch up those marks in A2.

154/200 is 6 UMS away from a grade A ..

227/300 is 13 UMS away from a grade A .. check the module marks - is one weaker and worth a resit?

Which subjects are these? PM me if you prefer - some may be worth getting a photocopy and possibly a re-mark.

I think you need to ask more about why they are saying 'don't apply' - these results are good enough where I teach.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now