Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Am I asking too much?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
My son's school requested that the students decide upon their A level options just after Christmas. In May my son decided he would like to change one of the options to Maths and was told he was second on a waiting list. We thought he would stand a very good chance of accomplishing this change as there is often quite a bit of movement when the GCSE results are released. Following his results last week he decided he would also like to do Physics instead of another subject. He went to see two of his senior members of staff immediately and was told to make an appointment to see one of the teachers who deals with options today, as there was obviously no one available to see him at that time. Having been to see the said teacher this morning we were told that his options had not been changed and he was still down to do his original options. We were also told that Maths and Physics were oversubscribed and it was unlikely he would be able to change even though he achieved A*s in both subjects.

When we got home I rang the school and spoke to a senior member of staff who said he would look into it. He then sent me an email to tell me they wouldn't know if there was any availability on the courses until Tuesday. They would have to wait and see if people dropped out or didn't turn up. He said that my son 'would have to be patient and wait until Tuesday'. I have subsequently appealed to the headmaster via an email as I am hoping he will be able to intervene in some way. My son feels completely let down. He gets on very well with his teachers, he has never been in trouble, he always gets very good reports, he works extremely hard and did very well in all his GCSEs. I cannot believe they are being so inflexible. The thing is we could have applied to other sixth forms on the day of the results if someone had been prepared to speak to us there and then. My son loves his school and the last thing he wants to do is leave however, the last thing he also wants to do is spend the next two years studying subjects he doesn't want to study. Very reluctantly I have phoned three other schools this afternoon who said, in view of his results they are prepared to consider him and have requested that we email them. Am I being unreasonable in expecting the school to accommodate my son's option changes? Having been so happy about his results he is now very low.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 6683
Location: Herts
Fran, I am so sorry to hear about this. Your son should be celebrating his fantastic results not worrying about this. Surely your school cannot be so tight on numbers that it is such a problem for your ds to change subjects. Is it really standing room only in your classrooms? You are right to phone other schools. I am sure lots of schools would be very glad to have your ds. I hope you can get it sorted soon. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
Fran, I think this is really not on, especially wrt the Maths. May is hardly the eleventh hour and it is not in any way unreasonable that you would change your mind at that point. DD is changing schools for sixth form and changed one of her options just after the final offer came through in July. No problem. And when she called with her results last Thursday she was asked again if she was still happy with her chosen subjects. This is a very popular GS which was oversubscribed quite heavily with sixth form applications. Regarding the Physics, I am astounded if a school could not squeeze another child onto the course.

I imagine you are slightly in turmoil, but for me, the important issue would be the subjects rather than the school. I know it is a huge deal to change at this stage and hopefully it can be avoided, or even just used as a bargaining tool; but this is your son's future, and if he is sure of his mind now, he should be allowed and encouraged to follow his own interests. You are right to be assertive on his behalf. Best wishes to you both and good luck.
Amber x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:47 pm
Posts: 1492
What you are doing is right. Your DS should be able to study what he wants to study because that is his future Fran and if a school cannot do that for him then your only option would be to move him to a school which would do that.

_________________
Never stop learning - Auvaiyaar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and for the lovely pms I have received. I will fight on and let you know what happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 1167
.


Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:39 pm
Posts: 2080
Fingers crossed for your DS, Fran.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
Thank you Belinda. The problem we have is that if we wait until Tuesday and his options aren't changed we will have missed the opportunity for him to change schools. This really would be a last resort but how can his school refuse to accommodate him when he has such good grades. As someone else said, it is outrageous. I hate to think of him walking in on Tuesday and being given the timetable for his original options. It should be an exciting and enjoyable time and I think he is dreading it now. I really do not know what the school expects of him and I think he is feeling undervalued. I am cross with myself as I now think I should have kicked up a big fuss in May. I was very naive and had faith in the school to do the right thing.

I am so sorry if I am being dopey but what should I do with regard to STEM? :oops:

Thank you KS10.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 1167
.


Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
Thank you very much. That is sound advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016