A Level Physics regarded any better than A level Geography ?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
brightyoungthings

A Level Physics regarded any better than A level Geography ?

Post by brightyoungthings »

Hi, DD applying for Uni for 2013 and in a dilemma re subjects for A2. Wants a 'top' RG Uni so needs high grades -but are offers made influenced by the particular subjects. ie If she does Physics will that result in a lower offer being made because it is 'harder'. She had decided to drop Geography but a mass remarking has bumped this subject grade up to an A (Physics is a B) so she now has AABB (other subjects are Maths(B) and Economics(A). She actually prefers Physics but also wants to minimize risk. She is retaking a Maths to try and get that to an A. Am trying to phone admissions but not got through yet. Many thanks for any views :)
Amber

Re: A Level Physics regarded any better than A level Geograp

Post by Amber »

Doesn't it depend on what she wants to study at her top RG university? Doesn't that choice lead naturally to doing one or the other? If not, then I reckon I would be advising her to do the subject she prefers.
brightyoungthings

Hi, yes sorry, I should have said she is interested in Psychology and Economics - so doesn't need either. For Psychology you need a science and Geography is regarded as a science but my DD seems to think it is less well regarded than Physics, prefers Physics, so dropped Geography but is now, wanting the highest predictions, thinking about doing the Geography. She hasn't warmed to the last big Geog topic of glaciation ( :lol: ) and didn't find it cool (sorry) but is a pragmatist and the next topic in Geog will be ok according to her. Hence the dilemma. :)
brightyoungthings

But yes, thinking about it, she should do Physics which she finds more interesting and the fact that she may not get the highest grade should be irrelevant - it is an example of exam results dominating and mass admissions process. Ideally I suppose you could explain this in your personal statement. Or just take Geography :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

For econcomics, I would do geography, to be honest. :D

I don't think the universities discriminate in the grades, they will probably say ABB or AAB and maybe specify Maths to be an A for example.
I wouldn't imagine they would mention physics or geography as they are not too closely related.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

In general, Maths, Physics and Latin are considered the most 'rigorous' subjects. But I would contact a couple of Unis and have that conversation with them. It may well be that they don't mind. So then do the subject she prefers.

For Economics, Maths must be essential and I wonder if the Maths predicted grade and achieved grade will be the most important factors.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi BYT

I've sent you a PM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now