HELP especially teachers of 6th formers

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: HELP especially teachers of 6th formers

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:Agree with all that Rob (especially the bit about my great post :) ) but, and it is a big 'but' - if a child/'young person' doesn't have a clue what they want to do, which is totally normal and fine, there is little point in putting themselves through a jolly expensive and hard university course, only to come out the other end just as clueless. While I am all in favour of learning for its own sake, I think a year out at the front end might be a valuable investment in such circumstances, helping to focus the mind and prevent an immature school leaver drifting in an ultimately unhelpful direction and cleaning their family out of money in the process.
As someone wiser than I said recently 'better a right decision late than a wrong one early'.
Absolutely spot on.

How many of us are actually in the job / career we thought we would be in when we were in year 12 (or equivalent?)??
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I've sent you a pm.

But for this thread... Great advice from all the right people. :D

How many times have we seen such a similar concern, whether on here, friends, family? What you are experiencing is more common than you would think and all the good advice given here will help.

For my part, I think some students feel as though they don't have 'control' in sixth form - for a whole host of reasons, not just academics. It's a difficult time for them - standing on their own two feet and 'thinking' properly (sometimes for the first time in their lives). Everything to that point they may perceive as being directed for them. (It most probaly wasn't). However, they may feel true choices can be made now for the first time, but with those choices comes responsibility. That can be painful!

I wish you well and my pm will explain more. :D
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

I am very glad that daughter's school do not take exams in January. It does give pupils longer to get to grips with the different level and style of study, even though it means more exams in summer.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I can empathise, Moetmum. I have a DD in year 12, and while she seems to be coping at the moment she does seem to be having to work hard - much harder than she did at GCSE (maybe that's why she didn't get such good results as may be she should have done :roll: ). It doesn seem a shame to me - year 12 is a time of growing up and that is hard enough without all the pressure of exams so soon. I remember the first year of 6th form as a rather pleasant break, while we settled into friendships, socilaising and generally having a bit of fun.

I hope the school are able to provide you with some support and advice - do let us know how you both get on, there will be amny in the same position (could be me by Christmas!).
scary mum
Moetmum

Post by Moetmum »

Thank you all so much for replying, I really appreciate it and have decided to call DS Maths and Chemistry teachers later today and tell them he is unhappy and ask how we can help or what he should be doing which he isn't and then on Parents Evening in a few weeks time when he is with us, we can perhaps hear about specific topics he needs to work on. :roll:

After working hard, as per teachers instructions, and then getting great GSCE results I think he is struggling because he isn't getting any teaching direction (it's up to him) or praise (his work is not very good) it's a big turnaround mentally.

Also I realise there are a number of social pressures on him (as is the same for all those at 16+) which might be playing on his mind (parties, girls, drink, drugs, smoking) and boys don't 'chat' like girls so may be there's a lot going on distracting him and he is possibly emotionally immature - who would be a teenager again!!

Once again, thank you all very much, I will keep in touch :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

How many of us are actually in the job / career we thought we would be in when we were in year 12 (or equivalent?)??
I left school half way through lower 6 because I refused to be a teacher....37 years later, here I am teaching!

However, I would have been a terrible teacher then. I spent 11 years as a lab technician , then went to uni at 29 ( via holiday company insurance liaison, brief sojourn as cross channel rep and clerk/typist as a vacation job)and finally a PGCE..managed to have 2 children of my own someone along the line too.

By the time I finally did become a teacher I was doing it because I loved it, not because it fitted in with the timetable!

Things have a habit if working out in the end.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Amber wrote:I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up.
:lol: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up.

nor me.... :wink:
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Or me.
And not using my first degree that it for sure...... :|

How many of us really think about what it is that we have to offer to the world rather than just get on the hamster wheel and keep on running.......

Good advice here, and with a supportive mum he will be fine x
Last edited by neveragain* on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now