And now for the A Level changes

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: And now for the A Level changes

Post by hermanmunster »

it can be possible to work out which unis are more generous and also which are specifying subjects ... very handy if doing 4 subjects to A2 and they ask for specific grades but poss in any 3..
moved

Post by moved »

Looking for help wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21156370

Here's hoping we really do mean 2015 - I don't want my son to have to deal with more changes.
He will start 6th form in 2014.

Anyone else think Gove is just changing for the sake of change rather than for any real desire to improve education for our children ?
Having read the white paper,the changes mentioned in the article will come into place for first teaching in September 2015, by which time mine will be going through the process of financial ruin called getting a degree or will be planning how to afford that process in the future!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I really hope that the 4th AS can now be forgotten about and they can just concentrate on 3 A levels and perhaps even have a life as well!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think this and the Euro Vote announcement are designed to take our focus away from the economy, but I am not fooled.
Missing revised borrowing targets and potentially back in recession Q4 2012. Let's try to make a smokescreen said Cameron.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I think he's worried about UKIP!!
I keep getting endless YouGov surveys asking if I identify myself as a Conservative or UKIP member (or even those other parties whose names are not mentioned in this house!!)
moved

Post by moved »

UKIP should be funded by every non-conservative voter! That way the right wing vote will split rather well. :mrgreen:

However, this thread is not about politics, but A level reform.
Looking for help

True, moved, but I wonder if in fact it is just a smokescreen - as somebody else said the A Levels have already changed with no Jan modules..............
Great idea. Split the right :D Mind you can you imagine if UKIP did rather well ?

Anyway I'm a great fan of modules. I think it makes far more sense. University courses are all modular, and bite sized, they allow so much more flexibility. My daughter is studying English, and doing about 5 different modules in the subject. They were allowed to choose a wildcard, and she has taken Criminology. She loves it so much, but wouldn't have done a whole degree in it. :lol:
Looking for help

Plus they are really good for those who haven't done A Level Maths - all that adding up and what if scenarios. The mental agility required is something else.
Sadly I seem to be the only person in favour of the status quo :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm in favour of getting rid of January modules but think that being able to take 4 or 5 AS is a very sensible route.

After a year students have a much better idea what to take to a full A level and taking away that option is absolute MADNESS.
Last edited by Guest55 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, LFH, I am too. I think this generation have grown up with a lot more testing and so are used to testing in smaller chunks. Why should they be suddenly tested in a different way? It makes me so cross - it's all politics with little thought for the children.
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now