Predicted A level grades

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Naulakha

Re: Predicted A level grades

Post by Naulakha »

I've now discussed this with DC who very definitely does not want me to "help", but we considered the best approach to take with the teacher and DC is going to pluck up the courage to put his case across this week. Some of his Uni choices need A*AA so fingers crossed!
moved

Post by moved »

Nearly every university I have looked at today is asking for A*AA.
future

Post by future »

Every Uni but one wanted an A*AA in specific subjects for my DS. We therefore didn't have an 'insurance'. Thankfully, he got what he needed.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

future wrote:Every Uni but one wanted an A*AA in specific subjects for my DS. We therefore didn't have an 'insurance'. Thankfully, he got what he needed.
I wonder whether it's still possible to have an "insurance" in this situation? We sometimes hear of cases where a student who has dropped a grade or hasn't exactly met the requirements (e.g. A*, A, B for an AAA offer if the A* is in the subject being applied for) is still allowed to take up the place, whereas other universities are more strict. I suppose the problem would be knowing which ones might be more lenient, as that isn't really the sort of information they would publicize.
Marylou
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

some of the uni's we've looked at have a lower requirement for their BEng then their MEng and will allow you to drop the the BEng if you don't make the MEng's requirements and if you do well enough while there get back onto the MEng..
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Many universities ask for A* these days. Manchester asks for 2 A* for their Physics courses. It does seem fairly common for the most sought after courses at sought after universities.

There is also a move at some to make an offer for a Masters with a fallback of a guaranteed place on the Bachelor course should grades not be quite what is asked. It is increasingly hard to find good insurance choices now.

I agree that there is a lack of transparency about exactly who gets in, with what grades.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are plenty of B Eng courses with lower offers and with a year in Industry. Many of these have better employment prospects!
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

Good news-DC's teacher has changed the prediction to an A*! Now all he needs to do is achieve it :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now