Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: UCAS form advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 am 

Hello! I am looking for some advice so that I can help my daughter complete her UCAS form and personal statement. She is in year 13 and wants to study a branch of biology that is not studied in that many universities, hence it is quite competitive. She didn't do very well in her AS levels and we have to be realistic and accept that she is not going to get the grades she needs. She has decided to apply for science foundation courses (year 0) at the universities where this subject is offered, where it appears that direct entry into the course after year 0 is more or less automatic. Some of these courses are more geared to students who have not previously done sciences (she is doing mainly science A levels), but others appear to be open to students who have not achieved the necessary grades. My question is: should she openly state that she knows she will not get the grades and is applying for the foundation course, or should she angle her personal statement towards the subject she wants to study (and is passionate about), or both? I presume it is best for her to apply directly for the foundation courses rather than the preferred course - I don't know if they would just reject her outright, or would reject her for the 3 year course but offer her the foundation year? Is it possible to apply for the preferred course at some universities where the requirements might be lower, and the foundation course at others? Or does this complicate the personal statement too much?

Her school does not have any experience of this and is not being very helpful. I thought about posting in the student room forum (I have suggested to my daughter that she does this), but this forum seemed less scary! Should she just call the universities and ask them? My apologies, I have no idea how this all works, and am hoping that someone out there has experience.

Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: UCAS form advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 am 

Welcome to the forum old gimmer!

I think that your daughter needs to contact universities directly - admissions officers are very open to emails from prospective students and if she is proactive in asking direct questions I think that will be respected. I think also that your idea of TSR is a good one: my DD spends a lot of time on that and I think if other students tell them something they are more likely to believe it than if it comes from parents, who, as well as being highly embarrassing, know absolutely nothing. :D

I have no experience of foundation degrees - hopefully someone who knows more will come along soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 am 

She can apply both for her preferred course and a foundation at the same Uni; some of our students have done this. Applications are treated separately and it will not prevent an offer for the degree course.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am 

old gimmer wrote:
I thought about posting in the student room forum (I have suggested to my daughter that she does this), but this forum seemed less scary!

Can't advise on the specific question, I'm afraid, but please don't be worried about consulting Student Room as well - first-hand info about specific courses and universities from students themselves can be very useful (bearing in mind that students can come from all age categories!) and can be balanced against information from other sources.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:57 am 

I would suggest :
- being enthusiastic in the personal statement,
- leave any comments about the AS levels to the school report / grades on the form
- phone / e-mail the admissions tutors re her application
- if there is somewhere she REALLY wants to go then consider applying for the foundation and the main course - though this may be something best discussed with the tutor first bearing in mind that it will take up a slot on the form

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am 

Thank you for your replies. I will advise my DD to ask on the student room and also to call the universities.