Visiting Sixth forms

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Visiting Sixth forms

Post by ToadMum »

Rob Clark wrote:I wouldn't worry about a random choice of subject, to be honest. As long as the school/college can accommodate her choices, I think doing what interests her the most is more important. Some of DS's (Y13) friends are doing the most bizarre combinations and DD (Y11) has just declared she wants to do history alongside the two she has always wanted to do, biology and chemistry.

A levels don't have to 'lead' anywhere directly - unless you have a child who is determined to do, say, medicine or follow a specific career path which requires certain subjects to be studied, take it one step at a time. Let her take the subjects that interest her and that she enjoys the most and worry about where that takes you when you get there.
If you don't mind my twopenny-worth, would like to add to the "go for it" lobby :D I loved German at school as well (although A level was lots of literature as well - not sure now? - and we did as a group rebel against one of our texts which was particularly grim!).

If the school is willing to timetable her choices, she is enthusiastic about the subjects and gets the grades required to do them, then why not have a go? Unless she finds something which is a "better fit" for what she wants to do with her life in the meantime (and year 10 is still very young to have to commit yourself...).

As a "real person" selection, rather than a "what can I do to get me into a self-styled best university, etc" one, German / Drama / Food Tech sounds rather good, I think. Please don't take this as a flippant comment, but I have a vision of someone who can give really engaging cookery demonstrations to German-speaking visitors :D
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ginx

Post by ginx »

ToadMum, you've made me laugh! My daughter is a little quirky and would probably give brilliant cooking demonstrations, making everyone laugh!

And she might do well at her subjects because she does like them and is good at them ... I've a year to think about it (or rather she has) She is here now and is keen!
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Guest55 wrote:Ask about group sizes. More than 20 is a worry and a challenge for a teacher in terms of marking.

Also check what the policy is for moving into Year 13.

Thanks for this advice Guest55. very useful.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Visited a school that's dropping A levels for IB completely. Not sure about that. My DS hates languages and cant wait to give up. Obviously the IB will not float his boat having to do a language unit!
Found out more about the AQA BAC option - this sounded better as you don't have to decide to do it until well under way with the A level courses. You can also do the extended project on its own, which, apparently, the Universities are taking notices of. Has anyone had experience of the AQA BAC? Work load etc?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Don't know anything about it, no, sorry.

So, we've seen 2 sixth form colleges and done dd2's school sixth form open evening. Liked the further away college very much, but atm she has decided she's going to stay where she is. She's going to apply for both the colleges though, to keep her options open in case she changes her mind in 6 months' time.

Her school are offering History units that she really likes the look of, and she's realised that they can't MAKE her do Maths A level if she stays! So she's thinking about History, French, Spanish, English Language (which she thought about for the first time last night and loves the sound of), and she can do C2 in y12 and get her AS Maths.

I thought she would appreciate the independence and being treated as an adult, but she said to me this morning that she thought she wasn't quite ready for it yet :) She can be a bit fragile emotionally and thinks she wants the security of teachers who know her (and really like her :) ) for a bit longer - the idea of proving herself to strangers was getting her rather anxious, and that's before she has even sent off the application forms!

(And yes, I do worry about her going off to university!)

Anyway, how's everyone else getting on with their investigations? Any plans being made?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have an application form ready to be submitted tomorrow to dd's preferred school, which is different to the one she's currently have, but is local to us.

Her own school has it's sixth form open evening in January, but this will be her secondary choice as it will mean a change in courses from what she really wants to do.

She will also apply to another local sixth form as an insurance option.

Dd's very independent and has no worries about going off to a totally new school, it's me who's wibbling saying 'but what about all your friends' :oops:
copella

Post by copella »

We have been to visit a few. DS still isn't definite sure what to take but seems to be settling on maths, physics, economics and history. He really likes his younger brothers school, but it is really oversubscribed, he has to take a test and have 6 A's :cry: So we are looking at insurance places. Feel lucky however as there are quite a few good ones near us. He is seeing the last one on the 20th. He so doesn't want to go to his school 6 th firm as it does not do well. What is feeling good is that it's not about catchment, but what he does and I think/ hope it's made him realise how important it is to get good grades next year. He wants to go with friends but is ok as he knows people at most of the schools we are visiting.

After we look, have to then complete the personal statement, how much are your dc's writing for this. Feeling a bit out of my depth with this bit having never faced it before. Any suggestions welcome. :D
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

According to another recent thread on here, they can't use the PS as a way to pick people, so I wouldn't get overly stressed about it. It's probably there largely to act as a small hurdle to weed out those who really aren't interested in a place. I will ask dd2 if she's done hers yet :)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Dd had a tiny box to fill in for her PS, perhaps 20 or so words. Gosh, I never gave it much thought, now I'm worried :roll:
copella

Post by copella »

Perhaps it's me who is overly worried :( and I need to chill a bit. However the competition at the best schools is huge and some use the application form to determine who to interview. Also I fear leaving it up to my DS who is likely to write something inane.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now