Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question for Sixth Form
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm 

Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 pm 

rochika_agrawal wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.

Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:07 pm 

Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:20 pm 

At my son's GS, boys must have a B in English GCSE to qualify for the sixth form. They might have all A stars in all their other subjects but without a B in English they have to leave the school.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 pm 

Rob Clark wrote:
Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2

:oops: didn't know that - passed us by

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 am 

hermanmunster wrote:
rochika_agrawal wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level

This means the for Sixth Form the Grammar School looks for GCSE grades and they don't take a test like they do for Entry in Yr 7.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am 

There is no test - just some published GCSE requirements.

For example my DS's GS was grade B average on GCSE and then the published requirements for each of the specific A levels. So child may be allowed to do some A levels but not others , eg not Maths with a C at GCSE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 am 

hermanmunster wrote:
Rob Clark wrote:

:oops: didn't know that - passed us by
I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am 

Quote:
I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.

Oh well, I stand corrected then. Around here (Bucks) they all seem to – GS, upper schools and independents, albeit that those requirements can differ considerably. I hadn't realised that it varied from area to area, apologies for misleading anybody.

Herman, in light of Amber's post maybe it's not the case in your area either rather than passing you by… :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am 

TBH Rob - could have passed me by, some things in 6th form were strictly on a "need to know" basis!!! :lol:

... I was a aware of a few boys though who were "advised " to drop the 4th AS at the end of year 12.