Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Question for Sixth Form
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 39
Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8117
rochika_agrawal wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.


Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:59 pm
Posts: 1268
Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm
Posts: 2151
At my son's GS, boys must have a B in English GCSE to qualify for the sixth form. They might have all A stars in all their other subjects but without a B in English they have to leave the school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8117
Rob Clark wrote:
Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2


:oops: didn't know that - passed us by


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 39
hermanmunster wrote:
rochika_agrawal wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to know does a child get the entry to Sixth Form (in the same grammar school) automatically or do they have to take a test for Sixth Form even in the same school.

Thanks in advance.


Most GS will have a GCSE requirement into the sixth form - usually an overall level of so many GCSEs at whatever grade and specific higher grades for the ones that they want to take at A level



This means the for Sixth Form the Grammar School looks for GCSE grades and they don't take a test like they do for Entry in Yr 7.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8117
There is no test - just some published GCSE requirements.

For example my DS's GS was grade B average on GCSE and then the published requirements for each of the specific A levels. So child may be allowed to do some A levels but not others , eg not Maths with a C at GCSE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
hermanmunster wrote:
Rob Clark wrote:
Furthermore, most also have an AS requirement at the end of Y12 for progression to A2


:oops: didn't know that - passed us by
I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:59 pm
Posts: 1268
Quote:
I would say 'some do'. Round here most do not, including, as far as I know, all the grammar schools.

Oh well, I stand corrected then. Around here (Bucks) they all seem to – GS, upper schools and independents, albeit that those requirements can differ considerably. I hadn't realised that it varied from area to area, apologies for misleading anybody.

Herman, in light of Amber's post maybe it's not the case in your area either rather than passing you by… :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8117
TBH Rob - could have passed me by, some things in 6th form were strictly on a "need to know" basis!!! :lol:


... I was a aware of a few boys though who were "advised " to drop the 4th AS at the end of year 12.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016