Question for Sixth Form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Question for Sixth Form

Post by Amber »

hermanmunster wrote:... I was a aware of a few boys though who were "advised " to drop the 4th AS at the end of year 12.
I know very few children who continued with a fourth subject beyond Y12: most do only 3 A2 levels. Perhaps that varies from school to school too but it is certainly not the norm at DD's GS or other GSs I know down here/up here (depending where you are!).

I am glad I don't live in Buckinghamshire- the schooling sounds like a total nightmare to outsiders- competition and pressure at levels higher than anywhere else from what I can tell, and it is bad enough here! At least here once your child is in sixth form they generally get to stay there without being hoofed out in Y12.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

At DD school (not Grammar) they can only progress to sixth form if they have a good attendance/behaviour record, have at least 5 A*-C GCSEs and a minimum grade of B in the subjects they wish to take to AS/A level (they will discuss if a child got a C but near a the grade boundary for B). They are allowed to select 5 AS levels and drop to 4 A levels although they recommend 4AS then drop to 3 A.
Many of the Grammars and Independent local to Trafford are very very strict in what you have to achieve to continue to their 6th form and have no problem in refusing places to DC who missed the mark either at GCSE or AS level.
KB

Post by KB »

6th form admission policy for our 'super selective' GS (edited down a bit to the basics!)-

The minimum grade requirement for entry into the Sixth Form is AAAAB; A*/A grades are required in the subjects to be studied at A-level. This is also the requirement for internal students.
(all internal students meeting the requirement are offered a place in the 6th form)

External Applicants who are predicted over 6A*s at GCSE or in equivalent single subject examinations (e.g. IGCSE) will be invited to the school to discuss their subject choices.

Conditional places will then be offered to those students with the highest number of A*s predicted in their best 10 GCSEs or equivalents.

4 AS subjects which are all continued to A2 is the norm - plus General Studies.
Relatively high proportion take another A level eg. Critical Thinking, Further Maths, extra MFL, Govt & Politics as an extra to Economics.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now